1. Health
Vincent Iannelli, M.D.

Should States Ban Smoking in Cars with Children?

By February 19, 2013

State Representative Henry Genga of Connecticut has proposed a state law that would ban smoking in all vehicles containing children in car seats.

The proposed law is designed to protect children from secondhand smoke, which is thought to increase a child's chance of having ear infections, allergies, asthma, wheezing, pneumonia, and frequent upper respiratory tract infections. Secondhand smoke can also trigger asthma attacks and increase an infant's risk of SIDS.

Smoking while driving can also be a source of distraction for the driver and is another good reason to ban smoking while kids are in the car.

Although often derided by some as being overprotective, like when states try to enact laws to keep kids from riding in the back of pickup trucks (it is still legal in at least 20 states), these types of laws are a great way to raise awareness and keep kids safe and healthy.

If the law passes in Connecticut, they will join four other states that already ban smoking in cars when children are present, including Arkansas, California, Louisiana, and Maine. And although not banned state-wide, kids can enjoy riding in smoke-free cars in certain parts of Hawaii, Indiana, Maine, New Jersey, and New York.

Do you have friends or family members who smoke when their kids are in the car? Do you? The proposal of the this new law in Connecticut is a great time to discuss the benefits of quitting and that kids are healthier in a smoke-free car.

Related:
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
Great American Smokeout
Quit Smoking Reminder
Safety and State Laws

Comments
February 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm
(1) Bob_Moran says:

Oh absolutely! We can’t trust those nasty lung destroyers to ensure that they don’t smoke around their children. While the authorities are at it, they should also have the smokers turn off their cell phones to prevent them from driving distracted and have the car sniffed for drugs. Don’t forget the seatbelts!!

February 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm
(2) rodney says:

Let’s simply the law and just make it smoking around children. What does cars and car seats have to do with it? People always try to find loop holes around laws. So what now, will smokers just not put there kids in car seats? Second thought, I guess that is one way to help natural selection.

February 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm
(3) Donna says:

Well first of all we live in the USA and we are supposed to have rights to freedom. But it seems daily smoke Nazi’s are out crying stop smoking . Or lets ban guns and stop junk food/restaurants our children and/or adults are obese. How in the hell should the government have the power to say what I do in my home or car. The government was not erected to dictate what each citizen could do in their homes. Anyone heard of the Boston tea party sure you have it was about taxes. Then the civil war on our freedom. Now we have citizens crying we need the government to stop people from having habits like smoking or drinking. Wow! Some of us need to get a hobbies or a job and leave their noises out of some of our ass”s.

February 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm
(4) Justme says:

Yes they should.However, this should clearly EXCLUDE electronic cigarettes since that is just vapor that is completely harmless, and it is also a great alternative for smokers to keep their cars and homes smoke free. That is what I do, and out of habit, I still open the window.

Even as a former smoker I NEVER smoked in a car with children. That is just unacceptable and extremely disgusting that you feel your toxic smoke is more important that your child’s health.

People in my family smoked in the car and house all the time.They’d be right next to the kids and puff away. It really is no wonder why I was smoking by the age of 13. I blame the adults in my childhood 100%.
Now that I am smoke free, my kids are too.

February 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm
(5) Shelby says:

Honestly, it is useless to make it a law, People are still going to do it, I hate politics and i hate the government and there stupid laws, You guys talk about 2nd hand Smoking being bad for kids, What about all the chemicals in the food we eat, the water we drink, that is just as bad, but the government allows it, Honestly half the laws in all states are implemented to bring the government more money to screw people over.
The government are lechers nothing more, i bought my Cigarettes and with high taxes too, I am going to do what i want, I am not going to let a group of people at a table deciding what i should do, I am a free person, and no one can tell me otherwise. For the parents, You don’t want to smoke in your car with kids in there then don’t, Do not try to correct others and what they do with there kids. It could be right or wrong. Just because you have freedom of speech don’t mean you got to be a dick about it (excuse my language).

February 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm
(6) Shelby says:

Also,do you think The government and police officers, NEVER break the their own laws? Think again, Why should i follow the law if the police officers and government does not. Someone needs to stand up to the government. When that day comes, when the people have enough, I will be at home saying about time.