This week's Saturday Safety Roundup includes stories of:
- a 2-year-old in Lakewood, New Jersey who drowned in a backyard septic tank after somehow falling into a 3-foot wide hole that led to the tank. The family was renting the home and didn't know the hole was even there. The toddler had been playing in the backyard with four of her siblings at the time.
- a 7-year-old in Little Rock, Arkansas who died after being shot by his 9-year-old sister who has autism after the two were briefly left in their apartment and she found a loaded gun in an unlocked case
- a 3-year-old girl near Eustis, Florida who died in a car accident in which she reportedly was not restrained in a booster seat that was in the car
- a 22-month-old in Cleveland, Tennessee who slipped out of his grandparent's house and drowned in a neighbor's pool
- a 5-year-old girl in Indianapolis who died when the school bus she was riding in crashed into a railroad bridge. The driver also died and two other students were critically injured in the accident.
- an 18-month-old in southwest Miami, Florida who was airlifted to Miami Children's Hospital after a television fell on him as he was likely trying to climb up a dresser
- a 15-year-old in Swatara Township, Pennsylvania who was hit and killed while riding his bike
- a 3-year-old in Tacoma, Washington who died after shooting himself with a gun he found under the front seat of his car, while he waited for his mother and her boyfriend to return to the car at a gas station
- a child who died in an ATV accident when it flipped over on top of him in Deweyville, Texas
- a toddler in Jacksonville, Florida who drowned in a bucket of water and bleach after he got out of his apartment through a door that a sibling left open
- a 16-year-old who drowned in a motel swimming pool in Toledo, Ohio
- an 8-year-old in Stillwater, Oklahoma who drowned in the bathtub
- an 11-year-old in Missoula, Montana who died after being trapped in his bedroom when his house caught on fire. He was rescued by firefighters, by died at a local hospital.
- a 4-year-old in Manchester, New Hampshire who fell out of a 3rd story window when he leaned up against a screen and it gave way
- a 3-year-old at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo who was injured when she fell off a ride
Although we can't prevent all accidents from happening, we can do our best to prevent the most common accidents and tragedies if we are aware of them, many of which happen week after week.