1. Health
Vincent Iannelli, M.D.

Vyvanse for ADHD

By July 24, 2008

Vyvanse, an FDA-approved treatment for children with ADHD, has been available for about a year now. Many parents report good results on this long lasting stimulant, with many anecdotal reports of fewer side effects than Adderall XR and some other ADHD stimulants.

The main complaint about Vyvanse is that it had originally only been available in three dosage strengths - 30mg, 50mg, and 70mg. That limited how much you could adjust a child's dose of medicine and meant that if the a starting dosage of 30mg was too much, than the child likely couldn't take Vyvanse.

Three new dosage strengths are now available and should help pediatricians and parents fine tune a child's dose. These include 20mg, 40mg, and 60mg, which means that you can also start a child at a smaller dosage if you wanted to. This is especially helpful if you are switching a younger child who is only taking 10mg of Adderall XR or Focalin XR 10mg to Vyvanse.

Related:
ADHD Medications
ADHD
ADHD Symptoms
Concerta

Comments
April 2, 2009 at 11:33 pm
(1) GLORIA KIRSCHENHEUTER says:

my son is almost 12 and he has been on vyvanse for about a year, he is now an honor student and is in the junior beta club, i would appreciate hearinf from other parents about their pros and cons on vyvanse..my son has thanked me over and over for the med

January 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm
(2) Shelly Fountain says:

My 8 year old daughter has been on Vyvanse for a little over a year now and I have seen huge improvement in her grades. she was on the honor the past four quarters. however when have noticed that she has developed some obsessive compolsive type behaviors. like constantly picking at her lips of her fingers. and we have had to up her dosage twice this school year. just wondering if anyone else have had side effects like this. she has not gained any weight since we first put her on it.

January 31, 2011 at 11:53 am
(3) Jessica says:

Hi Shelly, I am so glad you posted this, I have been searching pharm. books and the web, to see if the ‘picking’ was related to Vyvanse. My daughter is 6 1/2 and she has been on Vyvanse for about 5 months and her ped. just upped her dose from 20mg to 30mg and I noticed she is always picking at her lips and she started biting her nails. I am constantly having to tell her to stop but she says she can’t, I can physically remove her hands from her mouth and they go right back! My daughter has actually lost 11lbs since starting Vyvanse. Her ped. doesn’t seem to be too concerned with the weight loss, she was a little fluffy, but at 4ft 1in and 49lbs I am concerned. We recently started giving her protein supplement shakes, hopefully that will increase her weight and stamina. Good luck with your daughter, I know I am frustrated unsure of the ‘right’ approach but I’m glad I’m not going crazy, I can now say that my child isn’t the only one ‘picking’ on vyvanse. Thanks!

April 3, 2009 at 11:58 pm
(4) Morgan says:
April 6, 2009 at 1:49 am
(5) Amy says:

I’m 17 years old. I’ve been on Adhd medicine for over a year now. I’ve switched types several times, because it seems all of them make me extremly irritable and always in a bad mood. Ive been on Vyvanse for almost a full year. At first i thought it was better than the previous choices. Now I would do anything to stop taking it. It seems like im a completly different person when I’m on it. I’m extremly irritable. I feel ocd. It makes me think so much that i get really stressed out. because i just think and have anxiety about everything at once. Its like I can never relax. But i’m not sure what to do. I try to stop taking it and i seem to have what i think is withdrawals. I feel like i can’t funtion without it. I can sleep nonstop when i don’t take it. I’m extremely irritable, i cry over nothing. and i get overwelmed. It’s to the point where i won’t even come out of my room until i take it because i feel like i can’t deal with life without it. I’m not really sure what to do, so if anyone has any advice?

November 29, 2011 at 2:41 am
(6) Nadia says:

I hear you loud and clear. My issue had been identical to yours for a solid year …… So badly has it effected me…. that this is actually the first time I’ve ever replied to a message board ….well had motivation to do so /or felt empathy.
—-[quick history]*******
About 4 yrs ago began adderall XR 2nd year on it began taking more than prescribed…..last year switched to vyvanse…… (HUGE huge mistake) and like you .. Felt like “OMG no way is it possible for me to function without this vyvanse( I already feel severely hopeless/pointless….. How will I function???????

[Two weeks ago exactly....]. I had just come from my daughters cheer competition( couple days prior) I had just went from taking 3 – 4 60mg vyvanse a day…. YES a day!!!!! to just one a day ! ( beginning that Friday) did one each day until for 3 more days, THEN ran out!!!!! Long story short.

1) used 4oo mg of Acetyl L Carnitine-(w/Lipoic acid included in it)
- took 2 or 3 in morning – afternoon -evening This will not hurt you……… Easy to find- @cvs bout $15 for thirty capsules ….. U will prob need a couple bottles…. But I tell you it’s worth it. It helps take the edge off …..helps alleviate fatigue ……. But doesn’t make you jittery . Please ,,,,if I were you, do
NOT Take 5 hour energy ….. Did not work for me. Sent me back time after time to vyvanse. Hope this helps!!! If you are like me ….. You prob need to be on something for attention/ depression. Just remember **** meds that are similar to Adderall are going to always make you feel worse . Usually meds such as focalin or concerta are likely to do opposite. Good luck! I’ve been a somewhat easily addicted. – type of person…..dealing with severe depression most of my life. If I can accomplish this , I’m certain you can!!!!! Take care
Oooops , one more bit of advice that will help take multivitamin every day. :)

April 10, 2009 at 11:34 am
(7) Peggy Smith, Ph.D. says:

Amy, If you are luck enough to live in one of the few states that have medical psychologists, seek an appointment with one. If not go to a psychiatrist. If the psychiatrist prescribed it and isn’t willing to tritate you off the medicine with another medication to help, then go to a different psychiatrist.

April 26, 2009 at 2:14 pm
(8) Laura says:

Amy, please seek out a psychologist. You may need intervention beyond ADHD medication. If you already see a psychologist, please make sure you mention the issues this drug is causing you.
My son recently started taking Vyvanse. We have noticed a marked decrease in his appetite and he also becomes sick to his stomach frequently. Has anyone else had these issues? How did your doctor help? Vyvanse seems to be helping Michael, and I do not want to stop his medication, but we are concerned.

May 1, 2009 at 11:17 am
(9) matt says:

i’ve been jumping from med to med since i was in the 5th grade i’m now in the 10th grade and on vyvanse and as with all the other meds, vyvanse isnt working. it’s truly a shame b/c b4 they put me on the meds i was passing-sure i got into a lot of trouble but i still passed. and now that i’ve been on the meds ive had summer school every year and my report card just came in… guess what i’m failing, 2 F’s, 2 D’s, a C-, and a B+ and B- in the easy classes.

May 20, 2009 at 11:41 pm
(10) aymee says:

This is a wonder drug. My daughter, 14, has struggled in school since the 4th or 5th grade. we have had her tested, been to tutors and most recently have spent thousands of dollars at Huntington Learning Centers. Her grades have always hovered at C’s, D’s and the occasional B. Since taking Vyvanse (last couple of months) she has had straight A’s. She reports that she can just focus and listen better in class, which then helps her do her work successfully.

April 27, 2011 at 10:21 am
(11) Lois says:

That is amazing. My son is 15 and has been on Strattera for 7 years. His pediatric neurologist thinks the drug is no longer working effectively and wants to put him on vyvanse. I am worried that it is a stimulant and controlled substance and am concerned about the possible side affects. He feels that my son is underschieving even though his grades are not bad. Does your daughter have any side affects from the vyvanse?

June 8, 2009 at 9:33 pm
(12) janetrushing says:

my grandson has been taking vyvanse for two months and is doing well. His grades have gone up one full grade level. He is now able to listen and follow directions and is much improved in his attitude about school. We do have some concerns about the side effects. He has lost weight and at times is irritable and a little depressed in the evening. Its a toss up!

August 10, 2009 at 6:23 pm
(13) mel says:

my daughter was prescribed vyvanse today..she is 8 …we are doing this as a last resort because she is soooo out of control…any ohters out there with younger ones taking this!

August 11, 2009 at 9:44 am
(14) maggie says:

My daughter who is 11, was taken off of focalin xr because of weight loss. she gained 20 pounds over the summer and now will be starting vyvanse this weekend. any opinions about this drug, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated! Her moods and actions were horrible this summer. will vyvanse help this?
thanks!

August 11, 2009 at 9:46 am
(15) maggie says:

Mel,
I’m maggie..and my daughter will be starting vyvanse this weekend. she is out mof control as well. Her temper is awful. Lets hope this medication works for our kids! Good luck!!!

August 13, 2009 at 7:22 pm
(16) Anna says:

My son who is 11 will start Focalin xr tomorrow. He has been on Concerta since he was 6. He can’t sleep at all on Concerta so we want to try a new med. Has anyone had any bad side effects with Focalin?

August 16, 2009 at 1:55 pm
(17) Nancy says:

This may be a bit long – but here is our story…..

My son started first grade last year and after the first month or so, was really having challenges in the classroom setting. He has always had a lot of energy (positive), but now he was crying every afternoon, saying he wanted to be dead, was a bad person and would hide in either a cabinet or closet. It was terrible as a parent to watch your beautiful child fall into this abyss.

My husband’s cousin visited and after 5 days of witnessing what was happening suggested therapy. She had a positive result with her daughter so I checked with the local children’s hospital and contacted a psychologist. We really like him and were going once a week. Unfortunately, after almost two months, we weren’t doing any better, he was getting worse. We took “tests” questionnaires for both my husband and I as well as my son’s teacher. We were all on the same page – all saw the same issues, which isn’t always the case. He was diagnosed with ADHD.

We determined that he needed to see a neurologist to determine whether there was anything else other than the ADHD since there were a number of issues going on. Of course, it was over a month before we could see the Dr., in the meantime, he was suspended from school twice and received detention. After the second detention, we were so upset with the school and concerned for his mental health, we contacted the neurologist and asked to move up the appointment and we took him out of school. We home schooled our son for 11 days until all of his tests were completed – the neurologist recommended full blood work (which we completed the same day), and EEG awake and asleep and an MRI of his brain, followed by a meeting w/a psychiatrist. We were blessed to be at a wonderful children’s hospital with the top “brain” Dr. With their help, we were able to schedule all of the appointments for the following week. My husband and I took turns from work to home-school him – we worked with his teacher to obtain all of her class assignments and were even able to administer his tests. It was the best thing that we did – thankfully, all of his tests came back negative and we only dealing with the ADHD.

Through the psychiatrist, we started him on 30 mg of Vyvanse. At first it was great – we had him on the med for three days before sending him back to school. All was going well for the first two months – after which all of the side effects became apparent. He was very irritable, anxious, had low self-esteem (again), trouble interacting socially with other children. He had all of the fears all of a sudden. It was terrible. He was losing weight and is very thin to begin with, he couldn’t sleep. Each meeting with the psychiatrist, I would go through the list and he would assure me that it was “normal” and they would subside – other times, he would recommend other medications, feeling he was also ocd or odd. That was not the direction we wanted to go in.

We determined that when school ended, we would take him off the med in the hopes that he would gain some weight and sleep well. His Dr. didn’t agree – the psychiatrist provided a lot of support and suggestions on how we could do this. Unfortunately, after one week, it was evident that it wouldn’t work – no one was happy, least of all my son. After a family vacation, I went back to the psychiatrist and took my son’s appointment to let it all out and demand a new medication.

In mid-June, we started on Foclin RX 10 mg. What a difference – all of the anxiety is gone – he actually wants to eat – has gained a few pounds, but is much happier. We don’t have the same issues with his social interactions – he is resolving conflict on his own without lashing out or hiding. We are going to increase the dosage to 15 mg for school, however, since he really needs a bit more to focus that intensely.

It is a challenge and every child is different to its hard to say what will work for who. Just remember, you are your child’s advocate and know your child best – it is up to you to research everything that it given to your child in advance. Talk to other parents. That really helped me – to sit down with a small group of women and be completely open and honest about what is going on inside our homes with our families. Its very therapeutic and you’ll know you are not alone – you might just find out that your family life is a lot simpler than someone else’s. God bless and good luck!

January 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm
(18) Beth says:

Nancy, thanks SO much for sharing your experience. We’ve tried 3 different meds. for our son with AS/ADHD and so far, the side effects haven’t been worth the decrease in self control and hyperactivity. Focalin XR is our next attempt. While it may or may not be the answer, your post reminded me to keep trying and not to lose hope.

August 21, 2009 at 8:14 pm
(19) Kristy says:

My daughter who is now 8 has been on Vyvanse for about 9 months. Her Dr started her on the 30mg which worked great at first , she took it between 6 and 7 am then went off to school but after a while it seemed as tho the meds quit working for her by the time she got in from school about 2:30 she was hyper, forgetful didnt want to do her homework etc .. Her Dr decided to try her on 50 mg which also worked well for a few months and now she is up most of the night, she doesnt eat much through the day and only gets hungry in the late evenings / night hrs. She is very emotional and will literally cry and overreact at the smallest things. She is so irritable i cant handle being around her most days. The first few hrs after her meds kick in she seems fine even tho she talks alot but she does seem to concentrate more and she isnt hyper, she is polite and just generally a sweet kid but by the late afternoon early evening she can be impossible to deal with. She doesnt want to do her homework , she is tearing up toys , cutting up clothes and is mean to her two yr old brother. She back talks and will literally scream at me over a simple suggestion. It gets so bad some days that i actually fear for my two years saftey and i have a baby on the way.
My husband has adult ADHD and has been on Adderall for several yrs which works great for him so im considering talking to my daughters Dr about switching to Adderall. Has anyone ever experienced these side effects w/ Vyvanse and their children. Can i just quit giving her the meds cold turkey or should i wait until i talk to her Dr ?

March 25, 2011 at 1:00 am
(20) Vicky says:

Yep. my 11 yr old son is going through the same thing. Vyvanse was ok at first. He was more focused. But now is very irritable, over reacting to every little thing. Throwing things.

Its been hell. I had not heard of Focalin before but plan on asking the doctor about it.

August 22, 2009 at 1:42 am
(21) Mary says:

Yes. While our 12 yr- old son was on Vyvanse, we tried 30 mg initially and then 20 mg because he would not eat and could not sleep. He overreacted over the smallest things, told us he hated us, threatened us, and scared us to death. We wondered, “Is this our son?” He still needed something to help him focus at school, but after struggling with the medication issue for 6 years and trying 6 different drugs, we decided we would like to have our son back, so he hasn’t taken any medicine since January of this year. His disposition has improved greatly and he has stopped threatening us, though we’re still not out of the woods yet. His sweet, funny personality has started shining through again. We don’t know if he will ever go back on ADHD drugs and we pray for him to be able to succeed in life without them. He has shown increased ability to pay attention but still is hard to motivate, is forgetful, and does not follow through on tasks. We stay after him but it makes him mad. I would say that if you have much trouble with any ADHD medication to switch to another one or lower the dosage. Too much medicine can make them act aggressive. Good luck!

August 23, 2009 at 2:24 am
(22) Kristy says:

Thank You, I think i may try the Adderall to see how she works with it and if i get the same results im just going to stop giving her meds period. I debated for over a year about putting her on ADHD medication to begin with but then she struggled in school to the point she nearly failed the First grade and then did super in the Second grade. I dont want her to fail but i literally cannot handle this hateful attiude anymore.

February 3, 2011 at 8:15 pm
(23) Laura says:

Don’t just stop at two drugs. There are many medications and combinations of medications you could try.

September 2, 2009 at 2:03 pm
(24) Beth Kunstleben says:

Hi, my 10-year-old niece is on Vyvanse and is not doing well. She has no appitite and is losing weight, she has no concentration, talks back, screams, threatens to hurt herself and others on occasion. Just reading all your comments are uplifting. At least we know we are not alone. Thanks for all the comments. please keep them coming.

January 12, 2010 at 9:29 pm
(25) nicki keaton says:

dear nancey, omg i cant be;lieve your stories, my 4 yr old son is going threw the same thing. they just gave me vyvanse 20 mg to start him on this is the 4th med he has been prescribed adderall , folcolin, riddlin nothing working. he is so angry and mean all the time im going crazy myself,,,, please someone find a med that will help our babbies

April 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm
(26) debbie says:

I know what you are going thru I am rasing my grandson who is now 4 he lost his mother 2 years ago so we thought at first he was just acting out but he now is very mean throws things screams for no reason refuses to listen at all I have a son 7 who is on vyanse for adhd and t works for awhile and then he too is wild I am going crazy with the two of them but my ped said he was too young at 4 for medications but after reading your posting I am wondering if looking for another doctor is the answer good luck hope things improve for your child also

August 22, 2011 at 4:21 am
(27) MELISSA says:

If there is an underlying mood disorder then the stimulants can make it much worse. I have a seven year old daughter who was dianosed with adhd in kindergarten. We have tried most of the stimulant meds and most of them make her very aggressive! Concerta originally worked well but she lost to much weight.
She is taking vyvanse right now and at first she was on 20 mg and it worked ok for awhile and then just stopped working. They upped it to 30 mg and she is super irritable , emotional and aggressive.
I am trying to find other things that can cause lack of focus. Today I read that many adhd children have low magnesium so I am going to have that checked. Good luck! I know how stressful it is!!

February 10, 2010 at 8:34 am
(28) sheem says:

My son is about to be 10 he is currently taking focalin xr 15mg and i can say i am pleased with it his school says they notice it to begin to “wear off” at the end of the day but im ok with that because I think most teachers nowadays want kids to be “zombies” once they know a child has ADHD but i can say my son gets good grades but even when he wasnt on meds he did he mainly needs it because he get bored tooo easily he’s made at least the merit roll since he started to get letter grades….so to all the parents concerned about Focalin XR its wonderful my sons appetite actually has increased….good luck to u all I will be praying for you guys….

February 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm
(29) Kristi says:

My daughter is 12 and has been on this medication for 2 years. It works amazingly for her. She is able to focus and concentrate, get her school work and chores done quickly, and have plenty of time left over for sports and fun things. She takes this medicine in conjunction with Welbutrin for mood disorder. The combination is just what she needed- she has been getting straight As and is a pleasure to be around. The days she misses her meds, however, she has a very difficult time functioning or getting anything done. God bless the researchers of this medicine- it changes lives.

April 27, 2011 at 10:39 am
(30) Lois says:

Is your daughter on vyvanse? I am reading so many negative comments about this drug and my son’s doctor wants to put him on it for ADHD. He is currently on Strattera 100mg. I like that he eats and can sleep on the Straterra. The neurologist thinks that he is underachieving because Stattera starts to be less effictive the longer you use it.

February 26, 2010 at 9:19 am
(31) Maria says:

My daughter is 6 turning seven next week and we just started vyvanse 30 mg, she has been up for 24 hrs now, she has been talking all night, doing something with her fingers which she kept repeating and I guess she has dry mouth, she kept making noise with her mouth all night. This morning she bit her lip. She is irritable and now, i think she can’t fall asleep, so she is getting nasty and delerious. Is is normal, for the first few days?

March 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm
(32) Renee says:

I was taking this med for almost a year, and some of the effects were crazy! What Amy wrote is exactily how I felt, she is not crazy she need to get off the med ASAP!The feeling of being nervous and unable to deal with things with out getting all worked up are the side effects of the med. I got to the point that I was passing out and had a resting heart rate of 120. I felt like I was going insane and didn’t know what to do. I started having panic attacks and was in the ER several times. My DR took me off this med, and it was difficult the first week, I’m on week 3 of being off it now and I feel like myself again.My heart rate is back to normal and I feel much calmer and able to deal with things. Please be very carefull on this med and watch for mood swings, anxiety, ticks, and heart issues. This drug is very dangerous!

March 17, 2010 at 11:34 pm
(33) GMom in SC says:

My 13 year old grandson was dignosed with ADHD several years ago and was put on medication to treat but it had to be changed because it wasn’t working. Vyvanase was prescribed and seem to working fine then his next appointment was missed and he couldn’t get a re-fill before seeing the doctor which happen to be a month later. So there was a month laspe in taking his medication. Not long after restarting his med’s he was suspended from school and maybe expelled for fighting a GIRL! for hitting him. I was shocked because this was so out of character of him. I am wondering if there was some type of withdrawal going on from being off the med’s for a period of time and them starting back? Have anyone had any similar incidence with anger or violence after being off med’s for a period of time?

April 12, 2010 at 6:15 pm
(34) Jon Linch says:

My 8yr old son has ADHD and after several medications and lower dosages of vyvanse we settled on 50mg Vyvanse. He never eats on the medication only in the morning before he takes and at night when it wears off. He is focused at school but he is not himself, very quiet and unsocialable. he has suffered with slight ticks for a long time and was told by our doctor to take clonidine hcl0.1 mg for that, which helped at first, and helped with the sleeping, but now his ticks are much worse( which is a side effect of vyvanse)..to the point of him struggling at school,so we stopped the clonidine and today was the 3rd time he has broke out in the sweats ( with no tempreature ) I hate to see an 8 yr old on any medication and like others i want my son back! we stopped giving him Vyvanse on the weekends so he can eat (which he does constantly)but then he has the mood swings and throws a fit at the slightest thing. The plus …his ticks are gone. I am lost as a parent and am going to stop all medication for a while to see what happens. He has been on medcation since first grade. I believe this is a much more complicated illness and doctors are to quick to go through the list of drugs until one seems to work only to have another side effect come up 6 months later. Somebody Please Hit the lottery and research this for a better solution.!!

April 13, 2010 at 9:35 pm
(35) sayno says:

why drug your child for your inapt parenting. A child learns the bahavior they are taught. Study skills are taught at a very young age. Have you not read the black box warnings and side effects. What happen to normal parenting not drugging our children so they obey and conform.

February 3, 2011 at 8:13 pm
(36) Laura says:

It’s a chemical imbalance. There are certainly children who are misdiagnosed but taking medicine for ADHD is no different than taking medicing for asthma. God gave me both, He never said I couldn’t take meds for them.

April 14, 2010 at 10:20 am
(37) David says:

My son was originally considered ADHD as a 1st grader in 2005 by the person within the school system that handles the evals. The doctor placed him on 10mg Adderall XR. To be honest I don’t know that it made a remarkable change. After being on the medication for about a year and a half, my wife and I took him off the medication during summer break and did not put him back on the medication the following year.

We got an occasional email from his teachers stating he had a problem focusing that day and was being disruptive. But to be honest we got some of those emails when he was on the meds. His grades have never suffered whether he was on or off the meds.

He was off all medication until a couple of months ago. My wife and I discussed the option to place him back on the medication as he is going to be in “Big Boy” school next year and some of his ocassional behaviors that are somewhat tolerated in elementary school will not be at the next level. Plus we wanted to help him out with his low self esteem that he has from time to time.

We discussed this with our pediatrician and he was placed on 20mg Vyvanse. My wife and I were looking for a marked change and maybe it did help somewhat with some of the silly outbursts and comments. But we did not get the “Incredible” results that others have commented about. He is, by the way, 10 years old now.

After about two weeks at 20mg. We started to see a major change, but not the one we had hoped for. Although he has always had some signs of disrespect towards my wife and I, as all kids do from time to time whether ADHD or not, he had taken that and other actions to a new level.

He started tell us “NO” when asked to do something but this time he MEANT IT! And the way he said it was startling. He began making strange faces with his mouth and rolling his tongue through his mouth and around his lips while we spoke to him. He would have a fairly evil looking grin as he intentional did what he was asked not to do. And it seemed that his eyes were on the brink of popping out several occasions during the day.

My wife and I have decided he will not be taking Vyvanse any longer and will let the pediatrician know why.

To be honest, our child has always made all A’s with a B a time or two with an occasional problem at school. Schools get Federal funding for children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD which I believe is the reason that a lot of kids are categorized this way today. Our school gets Federal money because my straight A son is a disabled learner. Something doesn’t sound right here.

The unwillingness of some teachers to want to deal with kids and the amount of Federal laws that have been put into place to supposedly create a better society has really hurt this generation of kids. I was the same way when I was a kid. I got straight A’s and straight Unsatisfactories in conduct, but I was paddled when I was out of line, which looking back I deserved. I believe that a good paddling would help some of these so called ADHD labeled kids, but not all for sure. I know that some kids have a real need for something to correct an imbalance that a spanking will not fix.

Bottom line…I feel that in my particular instance, my son was probably not diagnosed properly in the beginning, and a paddling in front of others may have done the trick. However, the pressure received from the leaders and the lack of ability to give physical punishment put us down the path we are now on and currently looking to find the right fork in the road which will lead us to the answer.

Vyvanse was not the answer for us. My wife and I have committed to allot more time to him, spend more time with him, and help him find things to do that he can achieve the self esteem that he has lost. For now, he will not be taking any medication and I hope that the side effects from Vyvanse will go away totally and that his NORMAL oddities return.

We may pursue another drug option in the future if need be, because drugs were created for a reason and some really need them. If I had a diabetic child, I would not deny them their insulin, but for now will work on a non medication approach to try to help him attain a normal adolesence and successful adulthood.

June 30, 2010 at 5:52 pm
(38) Bonnie says:

Has anyone one had any seizure symptoms either while on the medication or just going off?
My son had his first at his Psychologist’s appt. He’s 13 and there is no history of seizure disorders of any kind on either side of the family. It was a last 1/2 day until Summer vacation. MRI clear but EEG showed signs of seizure activity during rest and “stress”. The Drs now say he has Epilepsy and basically, his summer has been ruined…can’t be alone, no riding a bike or any strenuous activity, no swimming alone (that’s a “Duh” for me, anyway)…etc. He’s devistated!

June 30, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(39) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

“MRI clear but EEG showed signs of seizure activity during rest and “stress”.”

You might get a second opinion from a pediatric neurologist if the psychologist ordered the MRI and EEG as a part of an ADHD eval and he didn’t actually have a seizure.

Vyvanse and the other stimulants do list seizures as a possible side effect.

Also see the Epilepsy Foundation of America for some more information.

August 15, 2010 at 1:38 am
(40) stracey04 says:

My daughter has been taking Vyvanse since 2008 (after seeing 4 different specialists about her adhd) and she has done great on it. The school was unaware of it until 6 months later and shortly after beginning her medication she received a Terrific Kid award. I know her ability to focus has allowed her to learn to read. She is now in 4th grade and she is doing better than I imagined.

September 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm
(41) Ms Georgia Peach says:

My son started Vyvanse a month ago after being on Concerta and Focalin. I was dissatisfied with both of them. I think the Vyvanse is great for him. He has a strong appetite now and has smiley faces in his school agenda all week long. I saw extreme weight loss and agitation on the other two drugs. I prayed to find a drug that didn’t make him feel like those two. The lord answered my prayers. I now pray that one day maybe he won’t need any of the drugs at all.

October 2, 2010 at 7:39 pm
(42) Stressed says:

This is for SAYNO: I am sorry if you feel that we have parenting issues. I waited 2 years to put my son on any medicine. I was a single parent trying to get him to focus and do as he is told. I am a strict parent and to have my son behave the way he was got to me. I finally decided after careful deliberation to medicate him. Although the doctor and I am still working together to help him the medicine is working. You do not know all of our stories and the time and energy it takes to take care of a child with ADHD. So please keep your negative comments to yourself.

That being said, I am thinking af asking the doctor to switch his medicine to vyvanse. My son is 6 and is currently taking 15mg Adderall XR in the morning and 5 mg Adderall at noon. It does not seem to be working anymore. A friend of mine has both her kids on vyvanse and it seems to be working wonderfully but I no nothing about it. It is a fairley new drug and I would like to have some input. I have been doing research online about it but it all reads the same as the rest. What makes this medicine better?

October 7, 2010 at 9:30 am
(43) pam says:

For Sanyo I hope for your and your child’s sake that you never have to walk in our shoes, ADHD is a medical condition just like any other illness, for you to question our parenting skills truly shows how little you know about the subject you are talking about. Until you have your baby come to you and tell you that he would rather die than face one more day, that he is stupid, and that now matter how tight you hold them tell them that you love them and that the are the best person in the world, nothing helps, so don’t sit there and pass judgment on something you know nothing about. God forbid if you or yours ever have to deal with this issue. Because the pain that your children and you as the parent go through to get the help and understanding you need has nothing to do with parenting skills it only has to do with love.

October 27, 2010 at 8:28 am
(44) Julie says:

Mel, My son is also 8 and today wil be his second dose of Vyvanse 10mg, so far we (teacher and I) have not seen any differnce. Good Luck and would like to hear from you while going through this journey.

October 28, 2010 at 2:43 pm
(45) Jill says:

Sanyo, you are a fool who just probably gets a rise out of being mean. You have no clue how many tears are cried by these parents who have tried evrything from removal of privilidges, to grounding, spanking, pleading, positve reinforcement, everything! We pray, pay thousands of dollars to doctors, pharmacies, & book stores. Just to find a shred of hope or some small answer. We question ourselves as parents, wonder if that Diet Coke or the hair spray we used when we were pregnant caused this. It is torture most days, but we trudge on. for the sake of our kids. I am repulsed by your lame comment however, I will pray for your soul.

November 11, 2010 at 11:31 am
(46) HoneyBun says:

Can a child crash from Vyvanse? For example, my son has a great day at school and after school activities, then when he wakes up, he is angry and upset at the world.

November 11, 2010 at 11:33 am
(47) honeybun says:

Can a child crash from Vyvanse?

December 20, 2010 at 3:24 pm
(48) Brio says:

My pediatrician says that in most cases the negative side effects (weight loss, insomnnia, depression) are due to the wrong dosage of medication, not the type of medication. In his practice he has a 90% success rate in treating ADHD.

Sayno – ADHD is a MEDICAL condition in which there is not enough dopamine or norepinephrine in a part of the brain. According to your logic, the parents of diabetic children are negligent for giving their kids insulin. How ignorant!

December 20, 2010 at 11:33 pm
(49) MomOf3 says:

honeybun,
my son’s (8) first day on it was Sunday. By evening, we couldn’t figure out was wrong, then BAM.. my hubby said, he’s crashing! he was all weepy, out of sorts, crying over bizarre things, than exhausted. He said it’s like when you come down of cocaine, that’s why people get addicted, when you crash, you crash hard and want that next up. Today, day two, no crash, thank God, but we knew the pill wore off he was talking a mile a min. (usual for him) and couldn’t fall asleep (also normal for him). I’m so glad others are posting on here. except for sonya, jerk. We tried it on our own for 4 years without meds. We’re new to this and it’s breaking our hearts to go the med route.

December 20, 2010 at 11:37 pm
(50) MomOf3 says:

BTW, I didn’t know irritability was a side effect. My goodness, THAT explains a lot!!! My son was so nasty today, I think it even scared him! Definitely an appetite loss, too. Sad, because he’s so thin to begin with. I would like to add too, that we’re going to try it for a month and see how it goes.

January 31, 2011 at 2:03 pm
(51) Shelly says:

thank you jessica You made me feel a little better! let me know what you find out about the picking, I want to try to get this under control. thanx

February 3, 2011 at 6:59 pm
(52) Laura says:

I’m a 19 year old “gifted” student and I was diagnosed with ADHD at a fairly young age. College is the first time I’ve ever felt I needed meds so I’m starting 20mg of Vyvanse on Saturday. I just simply can’t deal with all of the distractions college has to offer and I’ve been employing several habits that used to work: excercise, eating healthy, putting myself on a strict schedule and using timers and taking frequent breaks while studying. I hope the meds give me the little boost I need to succeed. If not, I can try more. I have two cousins and a little brother who are all diagnosed with ADHD and I can tell you that it’s not a discipline problem (we were raised in very strict but loving families), and it’s not a willful problem. We feel stupid and inferior because our friends are succeeding and we’re struggling. All of us are extremely smart and come from families with doctors, engineers and scientists, we just need a little help. And if those kids really have it and aren’t being misdiagnosed then they’re behavior likely stems from this feeling of failure and inferiority.

February 11, 2011 at 11:43 am
(53) Petro says:

Medicating 8 year old children with amphetamines? What has this world come to. Sanyo is right, proper parenting that is tailired to your childs specific needs seems like the logical and appropriate choice. I understand ADHD is a medical condition, but this is just wrong. There are better ways to handle your out out of control child than a prescription for a controlled substance.

February 12, 2011 at 10:24 am
(54) What else to do... says:

Most parents do not medicate their children simply because they are “Out Of Control”, but because they are failing in school. Is it better for your child to lose all confidence in himself because he is failing to perform in school? The consequences of ADD in some children completely impair them to move on and develop normal social skills needed for everyday life. Seeing my child through the years feel very insecure and anxious because he was not doing well in school was enough for me to consider the effects and seek help which led me to medication. He no longer thinks he is “stupid” and knows that medication for ADD is only to help him focas and stay on task. At 13 he still struggles slightly but is able to pass and beyond in some subjects. We do not raise the dosage to get better grades but just stay on the Vyvanse 20 mg to lend a hand. We don’t expect him to do more than he can but to always try to improve. We continue to address the situation itself, helping him focas in class and nothing more. ALL children need behavior modification even those without ADD. That is where the parent and needs to get on board. I have gone through my own guilty feelings of giving medication to my young child starting at the age of 8. I now realize after trying to stop at different times through the years that he simply cannot do without a bit of help in school. There is clearly a difference in failing and passing. For those who think parents are taking the “easy way out” shame on you. Unless you are living in our homes and witness the lack of self confidence in our children , even with psychologists and drs… without medication to help them along…and no improvement… than you have no rights to judge another. As I am certainly not happy with giving my child medication, I have come to terms with it based on the pros and cons at this time. A child success in life does in fact start with his ability to succeed in school.

February 22, 2011 at 11:35 pm
(55) Kate says:

My son is just about 6 years old.  He’s had difficulties since the age of three.  Like most of you, we tried everything under the sun trying to improve his quality of life, but alas nothing worked.  Our family life was suffering, his academic and social life were on a fast track to becoming non-existent and he seemed to be reverting to his earlier years (soiling his pants, crying all the time) and throwing massive tantrums which sometimes ended with either hurting himself or  someone else
Finally after three years of beating ourselves up, he was diagnosed with ADHD.  While we had a pretty good idea this is what we were dealing with, it was a relief to have a medical professional confirm what we were thinking.
We did not jump on the meds bandwagon right away.  We tried several techniques and vitamin supplements to try help him, but still   no results… and his focus and other symptoms continued to worsen.
Finally, we filled his prescription for Vyvanse.  He’s been on it now for just over a week, and all I can say is WOW!!   What a positive difference.  We can actually carry a conversation with him …. Something that wasn’t an easy task before b/c he could’ even focus!
His teacher can’t believe the difference.  Nor can his daycare workers.  All of his negative behaviours have vanished leaving the smart, happy and proud little boy that I knew was “in there” exposed to everyone in his world!
This med so far has helped him more than I ever could have imagined.
He did have sleeping issues for the first 5 – 6 days and his appetite was down for about the same time, but his appetite and sleep patterns have returned to his pre-med days.
I pray this medicine along with behavioral therapy and continuing our positive parenting will keep our little boy on the “road to success and happiness”.
I will post an update in about 6 months.

March 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm
(56) Marina says:

Sanyo and Petro are right. WHY are you people drugging your chidlren? I was on meds between the ages of 14-20 and now that I am off of them I feel so much better. I wish I had never been put on meds, I was more suicidal and unable to cope with anything. Then I met someone who told me I didn’t need them to be happy/function. And guess what, he was right. People have to learn how to cope with life without meds, having this dependency on drugs is UNHEATHLY and to teach your children that they cannot control themselves without the help of drugs is dangerous. PLUS the fact that God knows what adverse effects this is having on your childs development and ALL of these meds are damaging their livers. To sit here and read about the side effects (lack of sleep, loss/gain of appetie, etc.) these children are subjected to because you don’t know how to handle them. How could you put your children through such things, it’s absurd. Kids are suppose to be hyper, kids are suppose to go outside and burn off that energy (not sit and watch tv and play video games), kids are suppose to be kids. TV is the biggest reason for ADD/ADHD, all the changes/movement switches their brain to “go”, so when they sit and try to concentrate, its nearly impossible. Turn off the TV. What the hell is gonna happen when you’re not around and they’re all grown up thinking that drugs are the way to go? Don’t you see the failure that you are setting them up for? Ever since I have stopped taking drugs it took a while to get the confidence and happiness I have always searched for, but I found it. Unfortunately, I am plagued by the aftermath of taking drugs during my developing years (ticks, low immune system, liver problems) No I do not take meds, I exercise, eat right, take vitamins, pretty much treat my body good, non of that fast food or junk. You people do not realize what you are doing. But watch, in ten years all these kids will be grown and you will all see how wrong it was and messed up they will be.

March 27, 2011 at 11:41 am
(57) mom of 5 says:

Actually you are wrong…tv is not a cause of ADHD…tv can not cause chemical imbalances in the brain….You can research it and find out the things that do and do not cause ADHD. Sorry but for you to imply that parents are to blame because they let their kids watch tv is absurd… And I have 2 kids with ADHD and they do not take the meds every day just mon-fri and off in the summer and when on breaks from school…and they go outside and run and play and they are your typical children if someone didn’t know they had it they would never know. So yeah meds might be wrong in your opinion but i am a nurse and I know how to monitor my child’s meds and my child’s health and the doctor who recommended the meds to my kids is a very well respected doctor and I value his opinion over others…also, every med can cause side effects and has the potential to damage your liver and other organs…tylenol itself if taken too often and on a daily basis for a long period of time can cause liver damage as well as other drugs…so if a child is on meds it is not because the parents are bad parents or anything…as far as your suicidal thoughts maybe your parents should have shown you more love and gotten you the help you needed instead of medicating you but not all kids on meds have health issues or psychological problems. So unless you are a mom or dad yourself do NOT judge the parents who are doing all they can to help their child feel better and to help their child feel normal and improve their quality of life. Thank you!

March 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm
(58) worried mom says:

Thanks to all of you for your input on Vyvanse. Our 8 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD yesterday. The doctor prescribed 30 mg for him. He started the meds and he did not seem to have any side effects today, he ate well and played all day long with his brothers and sisters without one outburst or anything. He did complain of feeling shaky for about 5 mins tonight (12 hours after meds).
For those of you that are criticizing us for giving our kids meds…sometimes when you have tried everything else you have to make that decision to give your child meds. You shouldn’t judge us because of what we and the pediatricians feel are the right thing to do. If your child had asthma, diabetes, or some other health issue that required a daily dose of meds would you not give your child that med? And for your information, ALL meds have potential side effects and ALL meds can cause reactions in children. If your child has an infection are you going to make them skip the antibiotic because it could cause them to have diarrhea or vomitting? I mean come on! Leave us parents alone who have reached the last resort of putting our kids on meds!
we have our son on meds not because he is “out of control” but because he is having trouble focusing in class (by the way my son up until 3 months ago had very good study habits and he came to us saying that he was having trouble focusing and concentrating). My parenting skills have nothing to do with my son having ADHD!
To those of my fellow parents who give meds to help their kids…keep up the good work..it is hard to deal with when something is going on with our kids and we are helpless because unlike some things in our kid’s lives we can’t fix the disorder..this is more than a simple “boo boo” that can be kissed and made better. I LOVE MY KIDS so I do what I have to do help them!

March 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm
(59) What else to do... says:

Well said!!! As I mentioned a very similar opinion above.

April 9, 2011 at 11:32 am
(60) exhaustedmom says:

Wow! My question is…who are these people that are passing judgement on us? And why are they on this board? Do you have nothing better to do than search the internet for opportunities to criticize? This is a chat for parents to share stories about medications to help their children. If you don’t have this issue or a child on this medication then butt out!

April 14, 2011 at 9:12 am
(61) kym says:

My son is on Vyvance 40mg once daily now for the last month. Yes, we had some side effects for the first week, such as the rubbery leg thing and decreased appetite. The appetite started before the meds though. no picking or lack of sleep. He is 8 years old and has been having problems since I can remember even failing kindergarten. The difference on the meds was huge and immediate. I am very satisfied with the results. He is having trouble with reading and handwriting, but has gained 29 points on his map testing. I am told that that is huge improvement. His personality seems to be mostly the same. My older daughter was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 8 and we tried Adderall which caused violent mood swings, crying and sleeping all the time. We took her off of it and never tried anything else. That was 15 years ago. I’m told now that she likely had other issues such as bipolar disorder and that’s why she reacted to the meds like that, but at the time her ped wouldn’t listen to me. The last few days my son has been without his meds (there is a problem with his medicaid) and the difference is clear. He was never out of control, it is just impossible for him to focus without it.
And he was asking for help with that. It is my hope that this dosage will continue to be beneficial to him and so far it seems to be all he needs.

April 19, 2011 at 12:33 am
(62) dallasmom says:

Thank you so much for all the different opinions and perspectives here.
My daughter was diagnosed ADHD last week, and the psyche prescribed 20 mg for now. I have been looking at the prescription for a week and I know she is brilliant, but struggling with inattentiveness (far beyone normal for a child) just like I did my whole life (I went undiagnosed until age 20).

I am a person who lives very naturally. I have always been against medications, and don’t even like antibiotics unless they are ABSOLUTELY necessary. We don’t even immunize our daughter. She is extremely healthy and strong. Never gets sick.
The struggle she is having in school has a definite affect on her self esteem….
I am not sure how to feel about it being a chemical inbalance, more than a how you are raised inbalance….I know there are stats and research…but who’s research?
Also, I definitely am ok with finding some sort of treatment…but does it have to be a narcotic? A highly addictive amphetamine?
Have any of you just been so torn on this? I don’t want my daughter to be “zombie-fied”, to “tick” , “pick” , or be “evil like” mood swings….but I want to her to be able to function at her mental potential.
Does anyone have stories about taking the homeopathic remedies with success? I would love to hear from more young adults who took adhd meds as children.

Im very anxious about having to make this decision. I have never given her HFCS, FOOD DYES, RED MEAT, PORK, …we eat holistically, unless at a party, public event, etc. ….everyone has to live a little!

also, Has anyone tried INTUNIV? what is your experience with that?

August 31, 2011 at 5:45 pm
(63) Beenthere says:

on Adderall and Vyvanse for 4 years as teen. too many negatives to list, all insideously creeping in at different phases. I made great grades, but grades werent terrible to begin with, NO social or emotional development for 4 years. i went from bubbly,excitable, outgoing personality to a drag for 4 years with no meaningful relationships, back to bubbly a year after stopping. Takes at least that long to fully recover from taking it long term. i have since tried the illegal drug of meth one time and am here to tell you these drugs are straight up street meth in legal form. It was EXACTLY as if i had taken my Vyvanse or Adderall…I had heard that and tried it to test the theory. I struggled to get off my meds due to dependency which all will have that take it long term…throwing them in toilet countless times in the end. I did not abuse my meds but took as directed..changed up dosages with docs help countless times as well..always with trying to stay on an even keel all day/night as the goal. Dosage doesnt matter, you are left with the same wigged out feeling when they wear off. your body will not take long to used to any dosage. Finally, with Gods help, i quit. I also had many “evil forebodings” while on it, something id never much thought of and totally out of character for me to conclude. Just a feeling that this is not right. a rigid robot with no soul. Dont get me wrong, it started out with some positive results, BUT THEY DO NOT LAST. These drugs are not a long term solution but the brain damage you will be living with afterwards is long term. Hypersexuality (which i did not act out on with others, but still) is another strange side effect i experienced that went away immediately upon stopping. Lastly, while on Vyvanse, I was able to read and absorb everything i read with extreme focus except the Bible. That always bothered me and was the last straw to me finally saying, that’s it, this stuff is bad.

August 31, 2011 at 6:09 pm
(64) Molly says:

i agree, whats going to happen when the day comes you are not there to dole the pills out to your children, when they become adults dosing themselves? Addiction to amphetamines, thats what. i can name at least 10 people this has happened too. Some are even graduating from med school hopelessly addicted to Adderal, afraid to stop taking it. you need ever increasing amounts to keep the productivity you once knew up.

September 7, 2011 at 9:32 pm
(65) naomi says:

So relieved to see others talking about the ‘picking’ – my son is 8 & started on 20mg of vyvanse; a few weeks later they upped him to 40mg, since the 40 increase, I have a different kid on my hands! he is pick pick picking & bedtime has become a nightmare! He is up 6,7,8 times after lights out; “he has to use the bathroom” “he has a hangnail” “he can’t sleep” I called doc this morning & they suggested cutting him back to 20mg again. I’m so stressed worrying about how long it could take to ‘fix’ this.

January 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm
(66) Shaquana says:

I stumbled across this page while researching the medications for ADHD. My son was diagnosed with ADHD recently and I am going to try the more natural approach (fish oils) before deciding to put him on any type of medication. But from what I have read it seems like Vyvanse is off of the list of medication that I will allow my son to take. He is 7 years old and is very intelligent, he is a sweet and loving child, yet it seems like he is constantly moving, fidgetting, unable to focus when it comes to certain things, while I don’t want him to be a zombie I would like for him to be calm enough to complete tasks and “control” his impulsiveness. We have tried therapy and other types of behavior modification and those things have only worked for short periods of time. So my journey begins with helping him be the best that he can starting from now!

March 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm
(67) Tina says:

My son was in 1st grade last year and had many behavior problems at school. He was irritable, got frustrated easily, could not stay in his seat for more than 2-3 minutes at a time, constant meltdowns, etc. He was finally diagnosed with ADHD and my hubby and I were very nervous about starting medication. We tried counseling and natural remedies, but nothing worked. The doctor has played a bit with different medicines and dosages, but I have to say that 20mg of Vyvanse has made a huge difference. He now is actually LEARNING in school! Homework now takes 10-15 minutes instead of 2-3 hours. He is a happy, well-adjusted little guy now instead of a walking tantrum.
We have dealt with a few side effects, but they are manageable. For those on this post who are dealing with insomnia, try Melatonin. It is a natural chemical already in the body, and there are no side effects. It is sold over the counter, very reasonable (around $4/bottle of 60 tablets). I give him one tablet an hour before bedtime, and he now sleeps all night. He also does the “picking”-his lips, his fingers and his fingernails. I constantly ask him to stop, but I’ve seen him do it while sleeping. He also now has a few minor OCD quirks, like he gets upset if his foods touch each other on his plate and heaven forbid if his gravy runs! He is a little whiny, but not too bad.
By far our biggest issue has been his weight. He is tiny already. At 8 years old he is 37 inches tall and 44 pounds. He looks like a preschooler with his 2nd grade class. We have been seeing a child nutritionalist to give us tips on getting some calories into him, since he is very skinny. We are now pushing peanut butter, since it is a safe and tasty source of protein. He gets a PB&J sandwich for morning snack, then a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich as an afternoon snack. We are also trying the Pediasure nutritional drinks. Hopefully we will be able to see some weight gain soon.

July 20, 2012 at 12:10 am
(68) Ruby red says:

I was referred to a psychiatrist I would just love by my doctor for anxiety and using lorazepam. Did not take but a moment for him to prescribe Vyvanse which I was continually getting used to. I was up to 140 mg daily, I am at 60 and heading down. Many more bright moments. I am 47 year old woman. My 17 says she is depressed. I try several psychiatrists but no luck. So I let her see mine, I trust him. So she goes and said she liked it via text. She turned 18 2 months later. By then we did not know our very cold and unattached daughter. She was a living nightmare. I could do nothing but Baker Act her the pediatrician said but would not give me records which would show a history of heart murmurs. We even did a sono of her heart at 16. It was beautiful. Now she sleeps 2-3 hrs a night or passes out in the car if she does not take a pill it is 150 in the car in 10 min. Death, she does not wake up. I complain to everyone. He set her up for addiction and I can’t fight it. I am in Tampa. She is brilliant grad 18 in class of 500 never had ADHD nor me. We don’t know and will do whatever to help her. This doctor has made numerous errors on me. I am in FLA. Help us. We miss the lovely daughter we had.

August 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm
(69) Amy says:

My 9 yr old just started Vyvanse 30 mg today. First thing this am she was yelling and being ugly. (I think this was her usual tired self). Within an hr of taking meds she was crying about being so ugly to everyone. Then she started talking non-stop and she can’t keep her hands still. She is saying her stomach kinda hurts and that she just feels weird. It is really freaking me out. The talking non-stop and the constant moving of the hands. Any suggestions?

September 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm
(70) starlina mollet says:

I have been on vyvanse for about a year myself and I am very happy with the stomach pain issues gone that I had experienced with adderall. For me the effects of the vyvanse do not last and I take twice a day. If not I then start to feel lost awkward and my stomach hurts and its hard to explain the kind of hurt. It seems to me that the med starts off strong and then weekends as the days in the month pass by and I notice that I need to raise the amount taken. For this reason I wish to try another medication but the docs swear by the vyvanse even when taking stimulant exhibitors I feel the same about the med. I also have a son that was on the med for a short time. He had better results with the folclin but wouldn’t stomach the pain that both med caused him. Savier cramping in his stomach and debilitating headachs. I hope that I may have helped someone out there and if anyone has the same happen with them please let me know. My doctors don’t seek to really buy what I say. They never heard of it and its not on paper. So I’m having a hard time convensing them I need to at least try a diff stimulant. Thanks!

September 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm
(71) jenny says:

My son was put on vyvanse for ADD. I tried it one day he was extremely irritable,his anxiety sky rocketed, and could not sleep for 24 hrs. He had melt downs and kept clearing his throught every 6 sec. Or so. Not a good mix for him!

September 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm
(72) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

” Not a good mix for him!”

It could have been too high a dose…

October 2, 2012 at 7:04 pm
(73) Haleyanne says:

I’ve been on ADHD medication for 10 years. I started on ritalin, and lost so much weight because of the appetite suppressant that I got switched to adderal, which has less appetite suppressant, but still has a significant one. I was on plain adderal XR for 2 years, then got switched to Daytrana, (a methylphenidate [adderal] transdermal 30 mg patch) with a 15 mg adderal amphetamine salt supplement which I was on for 7 years. I liked the patch because of the control and strength of the patch, but I almost felt numb to humor and fun; almost zombie like. Not to mention it’s meant for children, so I decided to try vyvanse. On the first day, I liked it because I noticed some issues breathing on such large amounts of adderal, feeling like I couldn’t get ina deep breath. However, I felt like only SOME of my symptoms were controlled. I didn’t notice irritability, I actually noticed less than being on adderal. My appetite was suppressed, I could focus (not AS much) but I could breathe. I don’t know how I feel about vyvanse at this point. I like being able to breathe considering I’m an athlete. I still have motivation with vyvanse, but I notice an inability to control my impulses. Does anyone with severe lack of impulse control notice this too? If so, did you up your dose? I don’t want to be stuck on an ADHD medication I don’t like since I depend so heavily on the ability to control myself and focus.

October 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm
(74) Jean says:

My doctor who specializes in ADHD started our daughter off on 10mg of vyvanse. Slow and steady she said going up in increments of 5 mg. I am shocked to read of children starting off with 20 or 30 mg. no wonder the side effects are so awful. My daughter (8yrs) is up to 20mg now. So far so good. It’s only been three weeks, but I’m glad we took our time in increasing the dosage. Th great thing about vyvanse is that it is water soluble so you can play with the dosage.

October 28, 2012 at 5:49 pm
(75) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

I’m glad that method worked out for you. Most docs start low and work their way up on the dose until it is either working or the child shows side effects.

Keep in mind that the lowest dose is 20mg and many pediatricians use their judgement to figure out a good starting dose, which might be 20 or 30mg or a little higher for an older child, which is typically based on the average dose that children of the same age and weight are taking. Of course, that method will miss those children who are very sensitive to stimulants and need a lower dose. On the other hand, some parents get frustrated when it takes too long to see an effect.

December 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm
(76) SUnset says:

I am concerned for my 8yr old son , this last month the doctor decieded to put my son on vyvanse and , while I see some inprovement with school , I am however worried that he is changing, the other day for the first time he stoled something when asked why he said he wasnt thinking right …. he feels confused sometimes, all this haqs only been since he started this drug , has anyone else experinced this problemn?

February 9, 2013 at 11:00 pm
(77) sherri says:

Omg I am shocked. I am not totally against meds for kids or adults however I do not just take anything or let my kids take anything. My pediatrician who I trust and respect very much placed by 6 yr old son on vyvanse 30mg daily and I too left the script at the pharm for week. Then I decided lets try it. Big huge mistake. I felt terrible all day and refuse to subject my son to one more day of this med. It was like he was crawling out of his skin and it actually seemed to “bring out” or intensify his ADHD rather than help it. An hour after taking it he was crying over the smallest things,biting his lip in a tick like way,getting furious over things that usually don’t upset him,and was very obsessed with things. I could deal with a little appetite loss, lack of sleep,but no way will I ever give him one more dose of this med. Maybe something else will work but not this. Has anyone else had their child react this way the first day. I feel horrible for giving it to him and I was actually freaked out by his behavior….so was he and when a child is begging to go back to normal that’s not a good thing:(:(

March 6, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(78) Tisha says:

My daughter who is 7 and is taking vyanase 40 mg has developed a tick of lip smacking. Took her to the doctor and we reduced it to 30mg which she was previously on the 30 and we did not have this problem. However reducing it back to the 30 the problem is still there. Her teacher has even questioned me about it. I do not know what to do so frustrating.

March 9, 2013 at 8:38 am
(79) wendi says:

We just statrted this medication yesterday. We are seeing a type of numbing effect w her. No appetite and cant sleep. She is 9 years old.Said she was a little nausiated, and had a hard time going to sleep. Does this improve?

March 16, 2013 at 9:40 pm
(80) Wendy says:

Started our son on Vyvanse today and will not continue with it. After reading all of the negative comments from others and witnessing the rage in my 9 year old son that came out like never before tonight, I am truly scared for him. I will be calling our doctor on Monday.

March 24, 2013 at 11:35 pm
(81) Momof3 says:

My son is 5yrs 9months old. He started Vyvanse today. 20mg. Let me just say that it was a day from hell! He took it early this morning, within an hour he was starting to act different. Within 2 he wasn’t even the same kid. His hands were clenched tightly. Foaming mouth from non stop talking , I mean non stop talking for the past 14 hours! Pacing the house. Cannot sit still. His eyes are glazed over. He is repeatedly saying the same things over and over. Crying fits. And his jaw is moving and clenching like a drug addicts! It scared the crap outta my husband and I. I cannot believe a dr would give this to anyone, let alone a small child. It was supposed to help him concentrate and help his behaviour at school? Ummm thank god today is Sunday and he is at home! We ended up at the hospital tonight because he couldn’t pee. His bladder scan showed it was 200% full! He had no sensation to go! And he didn’t eat or drink anything the entire day! Nothing. This medication is said to be euphoric and very bad with coming down. I do not recommend this for anyone especially a child. Never ever ever again!!!

March 25, 2013 at 10:55 am
(82) momof3 says:

update: He did NOT sleep last night, the entire night he sat up in my bed next to me, off and on all night he was screaming. he saw objects, bugs and other things appearing. He was full out hullacinating. Now he is very emotional. keeps crying about nothing. he is still wired up. not tired at all! I cannot believe this med did this. I just want my son back. I feel terrible for ever giving him this. I hope it gets out of his system soon! He still has no appetite as well. and my child usually wakes up wanting a drink asap. he hasn’t asked once. :(

March 27, 2013 at 4:15 pm
(83) Undecided says:

Dear Mom of Three,

My son was diagnosed with ADHD earlier this year it took me up until yesterday to finally give medication a try. His Psychiatrist placed him on vyvanse which we started this morning, so far so good. The psychiatrist told me that if what you just explained happens you need to contact the prescriber right away, because it signifies that the medication is wrong and could be attributed to a misdiagnosis. There are several disorders out there that can mimic ADHD tendencies, like SPD, Asbergers, visual spatial learner’s, or childhood PTSD.

May 3, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(84) Tiffany says:

My son went on Vyvance 30mg at age 9 and although it worked well the first few days, he nearly became unresponsive on it after taking it for a week. It seems to build up in his system and after a few days have a very negitave effect on him. He literally could not open his eyes, walk or talk and it was so scary. He is on a different med now and doing great. Just watch your kiddo’s close on this medication!!

May 14, 2013 at 5:11 pm
(85) Mommy of 3 from Texas says:

My son is 13 years old and started vyvance 2 weeks ago. And so far it has helped. We were against meds for the longest time but he got worse and we decided we had to try something. He started with 20mg it only helped him till noon he said then he felt very crabby. he is now on 40mg and doing good. He did have a few side affect at first but now he has non. He had dizziness, did not want to eat or could not sleep. But it only lasted about 3 days. Now he seems so much happier! He catches him self before he loses his temper and sleeping and eating just fine now. You just have to give the meds time to work. He tells me he is able to do his work and not just get so board at school. He thanked us for helping him and with help from therapy he is doing awesome :)

May 17, 2013 at 12:23 am
(86) TM says:

My daughter who is 7 developed a lip smacking. I had noticed it and would give her gum however her teacher made several comments. I am sure it was annoying for her classmates it drove me crazy. Her doctor suggested we come off and then restart. This did not work the tick came back. I was so disappointed the medicine was working great huge improvement with reading. She is now taking concerta and are up to 38 and it does not seem to be working like the vyvanse 30. Does anyone have any suggestions?

June 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm
(87) andrea says:

My son is on Vyvanse 20 mg. It calms him but be was very emotional and irritable. About 4 months ago we went gluten free and it has made a huge difference. No more tantrums or mood swings. When he accidently has gluten he about turns into the incredile hulk with his rage so we know we are not just imagining this. I would suggest going gluten free for awhile to see if this helps to those who want to improve the mood swings in your ADHD child.

July 14, 2013 at 3:07 am
(88) Briteny says:

My 7 year-old son was just put on 30mg of vyvanse . i wasn’t happy about it and still have my concerns. it did help some of the problems he was having but he was very figity, way more talkative. but more polite and nicer to ppl he once was very unfriendly to. i think we r on the right track just need to take the dosage down some. i really don’t know what to do just want what’s best for him.

August 6, 2013 at 11:36 am
(89) Trish says:

My son, 12, has been on Vyvanse 40 mg for three years. Simply put, Vyvanse works for him. I see so many negative comments on here, and I am so sorry for all you are going through, but for my boy, this has been our saving grace. He is an A student, and he has friends. This year he even played on a baseball team, and did really well!

Nothing is perfect. This isn’t a condition you can ‘fix’ with a pill, and every medication has side effects. We see some of the OCD behaviours, that is the only real side effect from this med that is different from Concerta. He picks and chews his fingers all the time. We are currently seeing a therapist that is helping him learn strategies to stop chewing and picking.

For those parents who are considering medication, let me give you this advice. Learn everything you can about all the options. Talk to your doctor, then do your own research. Contact the ADHD parent associations so you can fair and accurate responses, from those parents who have had issues, and from those parents who haven’t. Not all meds work for all kids, and trial and error will happen. Also, follow your gut. If you think something isn’t working, it likely isn’t. If you see behaviors that are scary, STOP. ADHD meds only work on ADHD. So… if your child is mis-diagnosed, then it likely won’t work.

As for those on here who are critical about children on medication, I will add my voice and say that medicating a child is the most difficult decision that any parent makes. We do it as a last resort, in combination with all other strategies, like therapy. Medication is only ONE tool in the tool box. What will this mean when he gets older? I fear that every day. HOWEVER, his father was never medicated for ADHD, and instead self-medicated with pot and cocaine. Trust me, that wasn’t a better solution.

October 15, 2013 at 12:44 am
(90) rob says:

Vyvance is a conformity drug, not a wonder drug. Adhd is a natural biological occurrence bred and enabled through our environment, diet and attitude. Taking meds for it is not bad or good, it just seems to be a way of life and an easy turn key solution for people to
focus.

October 20, 2013 at 7:43 pm
(91) jenny says:

My 11 year old daughter was put on vyvanse 20mg about 5 months ago. We noticed a huge difference with her inatintiveness. But it wore off by 11 in the afternoon. So the dr upped her dose to 30mg. She was doing fine on the medicine not losing any weight. But then out of nowhere she had a seizure. She has never had seizures before and within 3 weeks of changing her dose she had one. After further tests were ran she is not epileptic and the only thing that could be the cause was this medication. So be aware parents.

January 22, 2014 at 4:38 pm
(92) stephanie says:

My son is 7, we have tried just about all the meds out there: focalin XR, Vvyvanse, Adderall, intuniv, conserta, strattera. I think that is all of them that we have tried. and sadly we have tried therapy as well nothing is working. then a few months ago his peds dr refused to give him anything saying he was out of her scope, I took him to the children’s hospital an hour away as she had advised to have an evaulation done, they confirm he is adhd and needs meds. they say that we just have to find the right dosage. that is what I’ve been saying all along.

Adderall makes him really aggressive, as does high doses of focalin if it isn’t combinded with intuniv.

Conserta and strattera make him sleep in school doesn’t matter what time I give it to him.

Vvyvanse, I’m scared of, we have tried it twice, the first time he took ONE dose of 30 mg. my child was as if you had given him speed. pupils dialated, talking 90mph and his handwritting was as if I had wrote it, he was 5 at the time. his heart rate was extremely high. I was going to take him to the er until his dr office told me unless he was having trouble breathing or in cardiac arrest they would just send him home. so we waited it out, 2am my child was still experiencing this. the next day at school his teacher could tell it was still in his system. The second time we tried it I gave it only a week, he was aggressive and didn’t seem to have an inpact on him as far as focus. (it was a lower dose than the first time by about half) I was scared to increase it.

the dr at the hospital has said we might have to find something between the focalin 15mg and the vvyvanse 30mg cause the focalin works a little but when we increase the dosage we have to add a non-stimulative to help with aggression then when you increase that to actually help he goes to sleep in school .

February 4, 2014 at 6:42 pm
(93) momcrazy says:

My daughter has been on 30 mg of Vyvance for 4 years. I seem to be making a difference in school. The teachers said her attention is good and she seem to think it helps. My problem is after school. There is screaming, throwing and kicking when we are trying to do homework. Homework should only last an hour but it takes us over 2 two three hours with tears and yelling and more. What should we do. I am feeling like I need meds to deal with it all. Losing my patients nightly…HELP

February 6, 2014 at 6:35 pm
(94) watersprite says:

My sons friend mom told me about a combination of drugs her son is taking Vivanse and citalopram for the aggressiveness. My sons dr. armed with information placed my son on Vivanse during the day and clonidine at night. It seems to be working without the aggressiveness coming off.

February 25, 2014 at 1:43 pm
(95) debbie says:

Hi guys I’ve read all of your comments and boy I must say thinking about my own challenges I don’t feel alone and feel like no one really understand.My husband and I have been raising my granddaughter for 5 years we are 60 and she is 7 we had her on foculin for about a year in a half then it just stopped working for her now we are testing Vyvanes so far good reactions except she does have a thing going on with her fingers. I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress. I had to get an antidepressant for myself to cop its called Celexa working good in my 2nd year along with stress therapy. Listen with what we deal with daily we need help coping because if you don’t get help for yourselves how are you going to be able to deal with these abnormalities of our children. Just saying. I know other family and friends love them but, not to the extent that we do to TOIL day and night having our sleep broken at all hours of the night and have to go to work. Don’t get me wrong I feel for all our children BUT I FEEL for US….
the Caregivers. Take care of yourselves so you can take care of them as long as we can. If we’re not around who’s going to DEAL with them……

April 8, 2014 at 1:57 pm
(96) Lucy says:

To all those people who think bad parenting causes ADHD, my husband and I have a strong relationship, and have raised both our kids in a loving, respectful, encouraging home environment. Both our kids (girl 10 and boy 7) are quite smart, read before pre-school, and academically very strong. We have no cable TV, and let them watch educational shows once in a while on Netflix, or a funny movie as a family here and there. When there is time for it, video games are a weekend treat to reward them for a good week at school. They both attend one of the best private schools in our province (we live in Canada) and are involved in extracurricular activities, such as organized sports Conservatory level piano lessons, Guides/Scotts, swimming, skiing lessons in winter, etc. While raised the same way, given the same love and opportunities, our daughter is a model of self control and discipline, our son is the complete opposite. He is impulsive, loud, messy, looses his shoes/socks/jackets all the time . Needless is to say that he has been without video games privileges for so long he has given up on them. His IQ scored at 122, in spite of the challenge of sitting down for three hours with writing a test. It is not parenting, it is not TV/video games, it is how some kids are wired. Accepting this has helped our family life immensely. Now I don’t ask WHY? We are applying an “all of the above” approach to helping him, with therapy, changes in his diet, more physical activity, and meds. I do not criticize people because I do not know their circumstances. I know mine, and I KNOW we have done our best at raising two strong , loving, fun, super smart kids, but one of them is different, and we needed to stop blaming ourselves for it and give him the help he needs.