Most experts now recommend that parents not give cough and cold medicines to younger children, especially those under two to four years old. With few medical options left, what do you do when your kids have a cold? Do you use a steamy shower, cool mist humidifier, or just tough it out? Share Your Tips
- Two of my children had croup and I used a vaporizer in the bedroom, but for the extreme croup, the best remedy is cold air. I used to wrap my son in blankets and take him outside and walk around until his airways opened up. Even opening a window helps.
- —Guest Nana
- My children have suffered from croup over the years and Doctors never have the time to explain it so throughly. I knew how to treat at home and when to seek a Doctor's help. now I have a better understanding of the virus. Thank you ! Also I have found that Ricola cough drops help more than any other if you can get the child to use them.
- —Guest Shelley
Take the Child Out to Cold Air
- Our pediatrician is very experienced and he advised us to promptly take the child outside (if the air is colder outside) or jsut open the freezer and let the child breath in the cold air. It works fast and it relieves the cough very fast if your child has croup.
- —Guest neverke
Outside works miracles
- I just open the front door and less than a minute the cough goes away. If it's too cold, take them to the garage. You can try to sit them upright and use a cool mist humidifier, but outside works best! Especially in Spring and Fall.
- —Guest Talia
Cough without supressants
- We are trying Ventolin with a doctor's prescription. It is working, but I don't know its side effects on an 18 month old.
- —Guest Nadine
Dexamethasone for Croup
- Dexamethasone is a steroid that doctors give to help open up airways by reducing the swelling when kids have croup. My 18 month old boy kept having croup, and this steroid really helped him to breath. Also, steam works in mild cases. Regular saline drops help to clean nose up. Health to you all.
- —Guest gaia
Can cough mess help
- If I give my son cough medicine will it be more harmful? This is the third time getting croup
- —Guest Jennifer
treatment of croup
- 6 month old with seal like cough which occurs periodicly during the day and at nite
- —Guest Becky Robertson
Info on Croup
- This was appropriately informative and thorough, allowing us to know the steps to take.
- —Guest Tina Souza
what I do about coughs.
- We just tough it out, but my daughter has been coughing for several nights now. I'm going to start using a humidifier.
- My son get croup a lot. We use a humidifier and saline drops. He hates the drops, but he knows they work so we get through it. Also, a warm bath with a soothing baby soap is helpful.
- —Guest Kellie
- My little boy has had croup on and off for a few months and we have been giving two different types of inhalers but i think steam works best. Turn all hot taps on in your bathroom and close the door or put his head over the sink with a towel over him and it should stop or make it better .
- —Guest C L Lacey