A. Most dietary treatments for constipation are natural, including:
- increasing the amount of fiber in his diet
- increasing the amount of bran in his diet
- decreasing constipating foods, like whole cow's milk, bananas, cheese, cooked carrots, and other foods that are high in fat
High Fiber FoodsSince the amount of fiber is listed on food labels, it can be easy to choose high fiber foods. Foods that are a good source of fiber have at least 2.5g of fiber per serving. These include many grain products, fruits, and vegetables.
Good examples of high fiber foods include:
- raw vegetables
- unpeeled fruits, like apples and pears
- vegetable soup
- whole grain cereals
- whole grain breads and pastas
- prunes and raisins
- baked potato with the skin on
- bran cereals, muffins, cookies, and bran supplements that your child could drink with water or juice
Other natural ways to relieve constipation including taking a supplement with psyllium, like Metamucil, exercising regularly, and having a daily routine of trying to have a bowel movement.