In addition to the steps we have outlined so far, you should also:
- set the temperature of your hot water heater to 120 degrees F.
- install smoke detectors on every level of your home and near bedrooms.
- install carbon monoxide detectors near sleeping areas in your homes if you use gas or oil heat or have an attached garage.
- install covers on electrical outlets.
- place cushions on the corners of furniture.
- cut window blind cords or use safety tassels and inner cord stops to help prevent your child from strangling in window blind cord loops.
- secure furniture and large appliances to the wall, so that your kids can't tip them over if they climb on them
- check the floor regularly for small items and toys that younger children can choke on. This includes marbles, balls, uninflated or broken balloons, small magnets, small Lego pieces and other toys with small pieces.
Featured Childproofing Products