1) Which of the following is a classic sign of dehydration?
b) weight gain
c) weight loss
d) increased urination
2) Your child touches a hot barbecue and you think he has a first degree burn. What should you do?
a) Run cool water over the burned area
b) Put ice on the burn
c) Put butter on the burn
d) Nothing. It is only a first degree burn
3) Your child burns his arm and the area of skin is red and blistered. This is likely a...
a) 1st degree burn
b) 2nd degree burn
c) 3rd degree burn
d) 4th degree burn
4) If your child is bitten by a dog, he may need...
b) rabies shots
c) a tetanus shot
d) all of the above
5) A bite from which of the following animals puts your child at risk of getting rabies:
a) a rat
b) a raccoon
c) a bat
d) both b and c
6) Your child falls and hits his head. He is most at risk for a serious injury if...
a) he falls out of a second story window
b) he falls onto a tile floor
c) he passes out briefly
d) he falls onto a carpeted floor
7) Your child's nose is bleeding. You should...
a) call 911
b) have him tilt his head back until it stops
c) have him lean forward and pinch the bottom of his nose shut
d) place ice on the bridge of his nose
8) Your 14 year old falls and knocks one of her teeth out. You should...
a) place the tooth back into the socket
b) place the tooth in a cup of milk
c) place the tooth in ice water
d) either a or b
9) A honey bee stings your child. You should...
a) try to scrape the stinger out with a credit card
b) pull the stinger out right away
c) place ice and/or a paste of backing soda and water on the sting
d) both a and c
10) You find a tick on your child. You should pull it off with tweezers and then...
a) call your Pediatrician if he later develops a fever, rash or other symptoms
b) get him tested for Lyme Disease
c) get the tick tested for Lyme Disease
d) get him on antibiotics to prevent Lyme Disease
11) A fire ant bites your child and the area looks red and a few blisters form. This is...
a) an allergic reaction
b) a normal reaction to a fire ant bite
c) an emergency
d) probably a spider bite and not really from a fire ant
12) Your child had a severe anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting. You should...
a) have an EpiPen available at all times in case he gets stung again
b) have Benadryl available at all times in case he gets stung again
c) always use an insect repellent with 100% DEET when he goes outside
d) never let him go outside
13) If a child is having a seizure, you should...
a) start CPR
b) place something in his mouth so that he doesn't swallow his tongue
c) hold his arms still
d) none of the above
14) The ABCs of first aid are...
a) Airway, Blood and Circulation
b) Airway, Breathing and Circulation
c) Airway, Bleeding and Choking
d) Airway, Breathing and Compressions
15) Your child cuts his hand and it is bleeding a lot. You should...
a) wrap a tourniquet around his arm to stop the bleeding
b) place a sterile gauze over the wound and put pressure on it
c) put his hand below his heart
d) all of the above
16) Your kids are playing with a BB gun and he is hit in the eye. You should...
a) put pressure on his eye to stop any bleeding
b) place a small cup over his eye to protect it
c) try to get the BB out, as long as it isn't near his pupil
d) rinse his eye out with cool water
17) While rollerblading, your child falls backwards and lands on his outstretched wrist. It isn't very swollen, but it hurts when you touch or move it. You should...
a) call your doctor or go to the emergency room
b) just put ice on it
c) just wrap it
d) just keep it elevated
18) If your child is choking, he may need the ...
a) Hirschsprung's maneuver
b) Heimlich Maneuver
c) Health Maneuver
d) Lichheim Maneuver
19) In the United States, the number for poison control is...
20) Which of the following should be in a first aid kit for a child?
a) aspirin in case he has a febrile seizure
b) gauze and bandages in case he cuts himself
c) a mercury thermometer in case he has a fever
d) all of the above
Answers: ( 'c', 'a', 'b', 'd', 'd', 'c', 'c', 'd', 'd', 'a', 'b', 'a', 'd', 'b', 'b', 'b', 'a', 'b', 'a', 'b')
Subscribe to the Newsletter
Vincent Iannelli, M.D. Pediatrics Guide
Discuss in my forum
©2013 About.com. All rights reserved.