While we all focus on the 20 school children who were shot and killed in Newtown, Connecticut, it is important to also remember that many children are shot each week. In this week's Saturday Safety Roundup, stories of:
- a 7-year-old in Mercer, Pennsylvania who died when he was unintentionally shot by his father as his handgun went off as his son was buckling himself into his booster seat. They were outside a gun store where the dad had been trying to sell the gun that he thought was not loaded.
- a 15-year-old in Ruskin, Florida who was unintentionally shot while handling a gun with a friend.
- a 4-year-old in Houston, Texas who is in critical condition after shooting himself in the head with his father's gun that he found on a tall furniture chest in a bedroom.
- an 8-year-old in Powersville, Missouri who died after he was unintentionally shot in his home.
- a 12-year-old in University City, Missouri who died after he was shot by another 12-year-old while playing his grandfather's gun that they found in a bedroom.
- a 5-year-old in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who shot herself in the foot with a her father's gun that she pulled out of holster.
- a 2-year-old in Minneapolis, Minnesota who died after he was shot in the stomach by his 4-year-old brother with a pistol that their father kept under his pillow.
- a 5-year-old in South Bend, Indiana who was shot by his 7-year-old brother. The bullet went through the child's wrist and into his hip.
- an 18-year-old from Omaha, Nebraska who was shot in the back of the head by his father while they were pheasant hunting in Iowa.
- a 2-year-old in Topeka, Kansas who was attacked by a pit bull mix while visiting a home with her mother.
- a 14-year-old in Plymouth, Massachusetts who died while riding his dirt bike on a popular trail after getting struck by another dirt bike. The teen's father witnessed the crash while riding his ATV nearby.
- a 4-year-old in Star Prairie, Wisconsin who died when he was hit by a pickup truck what was plowing snow in the driveway of his home. His father was driving the pickup while his son played in a snow fort on their front lawn.
- a 3-year-old in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania who died when he was run over by his father who was moving a pickup truck in his driveway.
- a 12-year-old in Mount Vernon, New York who was injured after falling down an elevator shaft while roughhousing in the hallway of his grandmother's apartment building.
- a 6-year-old in Richfield, Minnesota who is in critical condition after falling into a backyard pool that was uncovered and partially filled with water.
- a 6-year-old in Salisbury Township, Pennsylvania who was hit by a pickup truck while trying to cross a highway (Route 340) while riding his scooter home from school.
This week, we also learned that the number of people who are killed in tip-over related incidents, when a TV, appliance, or dresser, etc., toppled over onto them, has been increasing. In fact, 2011 was a record year for tip-over related deaths.
Keep your kids safe. Not all, but many of these types of accidents can be prevented.