There is some good news and bad news about reports of toy-related death in children from the Consumer Product Safety Commission this year. On the bright side, toy-related deaths were down last year. The bad news? There were still 13 toy-related deaths and over 190,000 toy-related, emergency department-treated injuries in 2011.
To help decrease these injuries and deaths, the CPSC is once again warning parents and other caregivers about:
- balloons - deflated and broken balloons are a choking hazard for children under age 8 years.
- toys with small parts and small balls - a choking hazard for infants and toddlers under age 3 years.
- scooters and other riding toys - should only be used with a well-fitted helmet and other safety gear.
- high powered magnets - should be kept away from children and younger teens under age 14 years. Even small, low-powered magnets are a choking hazard for small children.
- battery charging - can cause thermal burns and should only be done by adults.
- age-appropriate toys - keep toys for older children away from younger children in the house
Simply adding these toy safety tips to your Holiday to-do list can help to make sure that your child's gifts are fun and safe and don't lead to accidents or tragedies.