1. Health
Vincent Iannelli, M.D.

Saturday Safety Roundup

By November 10, 2012

Follow me on:

Did you change the batteries in your smoke alarms last week as Daylight Saving Time ended? An apartment fire in Tucson, Arizona that was started by a child playing with a lighter and setting a mattress on fire, but in which all family members got out safe, should be a good reminder to get those batteries changed and make sure your smoke alarms work. The family of five were able to get out safe and firefighters were automatically dispatched because of a working smoke alarm system.

In this week's Saturday Safety Roundup, stories of:

  • a 10-year-old in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who unintentionally shot himself with a gun he had brought to a neighborhood playground.
  • a 12-year-old in Lakewood, Colorado who was unintentionally shot by a 14-year-old relative with a handgun that the two were playing with.
  • a 2-year-old in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania who died after falling into an exhibit of wild African dogs and being mauled at the Pittsburgh Zoo. His mother had put him on top of a railing so he could get a better view of the dogs.
  • two teens in Goodyear, Arizona who are in critical condition after the ATV they were riding in crashed.
  • a 3-year-old in Glendale, Arizona who drowned after her grandparents lost track of her and she ended up in an unfenced backyard swimming pool.
  • a 2-year-old in Lantana, Florida who drowned in the Intercoastal Waterway in Palm Beach County.
  • a 20-month-old in St. Petersburg, Florida who drowned in a neighbor's pool after getting out of his own home through an unlocked door.
  • a 2-year-old near Hemphill, Texas who drowned in a pond.
  • an 8-year-old in Chesapeake, Virginia who drowned at the Sleep Inn hotel pool.
  • a 17-year-old in Danville, Illinois who died after falling out of the back of a pickup truck while holding on to furniture during a move.
  • an 11-month-old in Fremont, California who is in critical condition after falling out of a third-story window.
  • two preschoolers in Bryan, Georgia who died in a fire that was likely caused by an electric space heater being placed too close to combustible material in a home without a smoke detector.

Keep your kids safe. Not all, but many of these types of accidents can be prevented.

Many of the accidents and tragedies are ones that we see week after week, especially drownings,fallsATV accidents, accidental shootings, and even lawn mower accidents.

Spread the word about child safety to help save lives and reduce these types of accidents and tragedies.

Related:
Layers of Protection - Child Safety Tips
Helmets
Safety Tips
Playing with Matches
Drowning Prevention

Comments
No comments yet. Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>
Top Related Searches
  • safety roundup
  • bado
    1. About.com
    2. Health
    3. Pediatrics

    ©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

    We comply with the HONcode standard
    for trustworthy health
    information: verify here.