This week's Saturday Safety Roundup includes reports of:
- a teenager in Trenton, Florida who was seriously injured when he fell off the back of a go-cart
- a 9-month-old in Spring Hill, Florida who drowned after he fell into their backyard pool after getting out of the house through an open sliding door
- a 2-year-old in Greeley, Colorado who died after he was hit by an SUV in the parking lot of a shopping center
- an 11-year-old in Chico, California who suffered numerous bites as she tried to chase three dogs away that had surrounded her family's car as they were dropping her brother off at school
- a 3-year-old in Wiggins, Mississippi who died after he ran into the street and was hit by a car
- a 1-year-old in North Port, Florida who nearly drowned after crawling into the family pool
- a 14-year-old in Downers Grove, Illinois who was seriously injured when he was hit by a car while riding his bike. He was crossing the street in a crosswalk when a car turned right into him, trapping him under the car.
- a 2-year-old who drowned in Bellingham, Washington - he had been taking a shower with two older cousins (3 and 5-years-old) and was found face down in a bathtub full of water.
- a 14-year-old in Memphis, Tennessee who died when he was hit by a car while riding his bike. He missed a stop sign on a busy street and rode straight into oncoming traffic.
- an 8-year-old near Wright City, Oklahoma who drowned in a boating accident that also killed his father - neither of whom were wearing life-jackets. His 6-year-old brother has been missing since the accident seven days ago.
- an 11-year-old in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin who died when he was hit by a freight train while walking to school - he was wearing ear bud headphones and had a hood over his head while crossing an intersection as the train approached.
- a 15-month-old in Corpus Christi, Texas who died when his grandfather ran over him with their pickup truck - the toddler apparently got past a backyard gate and behind the truck without their noticing.
- an 18-month-old who nearly drowned in a ditch near her home when her uncle lost track of her
- a 3-month-old who was seriously injured after a 27-inch TV fell on top of him at a motel in Lincoln, Nebraska
- a 2-year-old in Wichita, Kansas who was injured when he opened the rear door and fell out of the car, unnoticed by his mother who kept driving for another few miles - he was not in a car seat.
- a 14-year-old from Covington, Louisiana who died when he accidentally shot himself in the head while holding a rifle he found during a sleepover with friends
- a 10-year-old in Providence, Rhode Island who will likely lose his eye after being accidentally shot with a dart from a crossbow
Lets keep our kids safe out there. Learn from these accidents and tragedies so that you can hopefully keep your own kids a little safer.