This week's Saturday Safety Roundup.
Take a minute or two and learn from these accidents and tragedies to try and keep your own kids safe:
- a school bus crash in Chesterfield Twp, N.J. that killed an 11-year-old triplet and critically injured her two sisters and another child. A total of 17 students were injured when a dump truck collided with the bus.
- a 2-year-old girl who drowned in a canal in Lauderdale Lakes, Florida. She had been watching TV while her mother was in the backyard and father went to the bathroom, and was discovered to be missing when they returned. She was eventually found in a nearby canal.
- a young school age child who was injured by a hit and run driver while jaywalking in Las Vegas, Nevada
- a 9-month-old from Coachella, California who died when she was in a car accident with her mother - her car seat was not properly installed
- a 16-year-old from London, Kentucky who died while riding an ATV - he was found by friends pinned under the ATV
- a 9-year-old girl who was hospitalized in Philadelphia after she was struck by a hit and run driver while riding her bike
- a teen in Lee's Summit, Missouri who was accidentally shot in the head by a friend who was playing with a 9mm handgun when it went off
- two children in Indianapolis who died in car accidents -neither of the children, a 7-year-old and a 3-year-old, were in car seats
- a 9-year-old from Monticello, Kentucky who died after he was shot in the chest by his 11-year-old brother
- a 13-year-old in Jackson, S.D. who suffered multiple injuries in an ATV accident
- a 2-year-old boy who drowned in Grand Rapids, Michigan after falling into a hot tub at a hotel
- a 13-year-old near Cynthiana, Kentucky who is in critical condition after suffering severe head trauma in a saucer sled crash - the saucer sled he was riding on, which was being pulled by an ATV by another 13-year-old, hit a tree head-on
- a newborn baby who was killed when he was bitten by the family husky in Airdrie in Alberta, Canada
- an 8-year-old from Mercer County, Pennsylvania who died after choking on a hot dog at school
- a 3-day-old baby who was killed when he was mauled to death by the family's pet husky in McKeesport, Pennsylvania
- a 7-year-old boy who drowned in an above-ground pool in Oklahoma City
- a 4-year-old boy who nearly drowned in a canal in Belle Glade, Florida
- a 1-year-old girl who was injured after falling out of a second story window of her home in Bonaparte, Iowa
- four young children from Grayslake, Illinois who were rescued when they fell through the ice on a frozen pond
Drownings, shootings, falls - protect your kids from these common accidents and tragedies which help to make accidents a leading cause of death for children. It is also important to childproof your home so that younger kids can't get hurt and can't get out, and properly use a car seat or booster seat every time your kids are in the car.