A first grader in Virginia, with a history of an allergy to peanuts, died at school after having a severe allergic reaction.
When I first heard about this case on the news this week, I thought they were talking about the student in Chicago who died from a peanut allergy last year. That child died at a school lunch party when she was served Chinese food that was contaminated with peanuts, even though the school knew about her peanut allergy.
Unfortunately, this was another incident and another tragedy in the news.
The seven-year-old in Chesterfield, Virginia told a teacher that she had "ate something bad" and she was taken to the school health clinic, where she passed out and went into cardiac arrest. Paramedics took her to a local hospital, where she was soon pronounced dead.
The child was not given an epinephrine shot, that is expected to stop this type of severe allergic reaction, because they did not have one for the child. Although the child reportedly had an allergy action plan on file at the school, it seems like there was confusion about her EpiPen. While it is reported that her mother tried to leave one at the school, she was reportedly told that they already had her medicines.
Whatever what wrong, this tragedy is a good reminder about how serious peanut allergies can be.
If your child has a severe food allergy, does he or she have a food allergy action plan on file at school? Do you have all medications that your child might need in case of a severe reaction, which might include an EpiPen, Benadryl, and an albuterol inhaler?
What precautions are taken so that your kids aren't exposed to foods to which they are allergic?
Does your school have a regular school nurse? Unfortunately, fewer schools have a full-time nurse at their school, even as kids face rising medical problems, such as food allergies and diabetes, which might increase the risk that problems can occur.