1. Health
Vincent Iannelli, M.D.

Mylanta Recall

By December 1, 2010

The FDA and Johnson & Johnson-Merck Consumer Pharmaceuticals, Co. has recalled twelve Mylanta liquid products.

Unlike many other drug recalls that involve patient safety, the Mylanta recall was prompted by a need to 'update the labeling for these products' to show that†small amounts of alcohol are added to the medicines from flavoring agents. Like the recent recall of Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom liquid products, Benadryl, and Motrin, this is a wholesale and retail level recall only. Consumers do not need to discard or return the recalled Mylanta, if they have it, and they can continue to use it. Just be aware that there is a small amount of alcohol (<1%) in the product that isn't listed on the label.

Mylanta is an over-the-counter medication that is commonly used to relieve heartburn symptoms. Keep in mind that most Mylanta liquid products are not indicated for children under the age of 12 years though. Children's Mylanta Chewable Tablets can be given to children as young as two years of age, but that product is not involved in this recall.

Related:
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
FDA - Mylanta Recall Alert
Drug Recalls
Acid Reflux Treatments

Comments
December 3, 2010 at 1:54 am
(1) Share the Truth says:

Johnson & Johnson /McNeill Consumer Healthcare is a prime example of corporate corruption, dishonesty and malfeasance. They donít care one bit about how many people they harm. What may be even worse is the fact that the main media outlets are not reporting the WHOLE story.

When will the entire story be exposed? When will J & J be shut down?

January 16, 2011 at 1:55 pm
(2) stevens says:

shut the hell up

January 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm
(3) jenifer says:

You need to attend a hate anger management class. If you have issues with the medical or pharmaceutical world then get up off your laurels and do something about it, don’t just rave on a blog! Your posts read MORONIC. LOSER!

August 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm
(4) VINCE says:

YOU GUYS ALL WOULD NOT BE ON THIS PAGE IF NOT FOR PRUDENT OVERSIGHT BY PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO DON’T TAKE ANYTHING WITHOUT RESEARCH(IN THIS CASE MY WIFE, A RECOVERING ALCOHALIC WHO MAY OR MAY NOT REACT ADVERSELY TO THAT OR OTHER INGR, IF NOT FOR OTHERS DYING OR CONVULSING BECAUSE OF FAULTY OR NEGLIGENT TESTING ETC WHERE WOULD THE COMMUNITY BE?
WHAT ABOUT HOMEOPATHICS…NO MD WILL TELL YOU TO TAKE SOME PAPAYA JUICE OR ALOE VERA CAUSE THEN CASE CLOSED

December 3, 2010 at 12:29 pm
(5) glenn says:

johnson and johnson should be shut down immediately.

March 2, 2011 at 1:03 pm
(6) Beth says:

You people are ridiculous!!!! How many viable OTC or prescription medications do we have to lose because of some insignificant MINOR oversight or omission? This recall… I don’t even know where to start!!!! Trace amounts of unlisted alcohol are in the bottle so let’s get it off the shelf now?! I just don’t get it. Anyone who would say something like “glenn” either has a MAJOR hate-on for corporations in general (you know, the thing that makes our economy run and creates jobs, etc.), or “glenn” just can’t handle making his/her own decisions and really needs a higher governmental power to help with that. Grow up. The more these ideas are endorsed, the less freedom we have. If J&J had left out an ingredient such as arsenic, maybe this would even be a topic. But they didn’t, so it’s not. Again, please grow up. I don’t want to be nannied by the state and neither should anyone else.

December 6, 2010 at 9:23 am
(7) Kaela says:

OK im really disturbed by this is! I am 39 weeks pregnant and was told to take Mylanta for My heartburn and acid reflux! I have taken this almost everyday for the last 4 months! Should I be worried now or what?

December 10, 2010 at 3:50 am
(8) Maryn Louisay says:

A little alcohol will do no harm.

December 15, 2010 at 8:35 am
(9) ally says:

I love this product and am upset it has been taken off the shelves. really, less than 1%? how could this harm anyone. this is soooo ridiculous.

December 15, 2010 at 10:47 pm
(10) cocowan says:

I agree with Ally, this is ridiculous… Come on, 1%… I am very upset because Mylanta is the only medication help my stomach… I went to five stores before I realize this medication has been pulled. WHY, WHY, Why for one percent (1%)

December 17, 2010 at 4:22 pm
(11) Mark says:

It doesn’t take much alcohol to interact with some prescription medications to cause a disulfiram reaction which leads to severe nausea and vomiting. Drugs like Flagyl (Metronidazole) will cause severe nausea when mixed with even small amounts of alcohol. It’s in the publics best interest and the manufacturers responsibility to pull the product and relabel their products. Also children are very sensitive to alcohol. So why risk it. Use Gaviscon mixed with Gas X to produce similar results to Mylanta. .

December 28, 2010 at 2:58 pm
(12) paul says:

aawww you people are a bunch of wussies !! i take Maylanta repeatedly for acid reflux and have never had a problem with interactions with other meds.
the sky is falling!! the sky is falling!! ya well look whos in the white house,you should worry more about that .

December 29, 2010 at 7:13 am
(13) willie says:

I would worry way more about ingesting aluminum hydroxide than I would a few milligrams of alcohol in the flavoring. The ingredient benzyl alcohol is listed on my EMPTY BOTTLE of Mylanta Supreme, so I don’t know why it is in the recall. Check all the brands and offerings liquid antacid anywhere, and you’ll find dozens of facings and brands which use aluminum hydroxide. There is only one SKU which is calcium based: Mylanta Supreme.

December 30, 2010 at 8:37 pm
(14) jim says:

alcohol has been used as a medicine ever since it was invented. Less than 1% is nothing. Mylanta works and that’s why is off the shelf. Sound like a competitor ‘greased someones palm’ again.

December 30, 2010 at 8:49 pm
(15) zoila Petzinger says:

I am a physician and myself has been on Mylanta for about 40-years.
I was quite disappointed to see no Mylanta on the shelves, and quite puzzled when some one told me that this particular
antacid was recalled. I thought the pharmacy just run out
of it.
I never had any side effects and I always prescribe it when is
needed.
The excuse that 1% of alcohol in this antacid is the reason puzzles me more.

January 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm
(16) sandy says:

I am sure there is more behind it, but we are only the people taking it and risking our lives, so they wouldn’t want to bother our little heads with the truth, we might freak out and run a muck or something, 90% of corporations, CEO’s, politicians, oh let me throw lawyers in there (remember I only said 90% so for you 10% you know who you are) they are liars, liars, liars. The American public are now in the position of having to find the truth on our own, and I would believe alsmost anyone other than the above mentioned groups. We need to pray for our country and our leaders (no not that way) but truely pray that people in leadership positions and people that have been given much power will either to the right things or reap what they sow.

February 9, 2011 at 3:02 am
(17) Professor of Communications says:

While I agree with your point, doctor, I am forced to inquire….”where did you attend medical school?”

December 31, 2010 at 12:34 pm
(18) Tina says:

I can understand about all this but thats stupid to pull it off the shelves.ok we now know that it has alcohol so make labels starting here dont pull it off the shelves its our choice to buy it or not,thats the problem we dont have choice, we have fda putting all kinds of harmful things in our food and someone is this worried about mylanta.iI think we should be more worried about the fda.check it out you wont believe it.

January 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm
(19) Andrea says:

I am pregnant and need Mylanta. This really sucks!

January 3, 2011 at 7:50 pm
(20) frank says:

sorry to see Mylanta go. have tried Tums over the years…………………………yuk! also tried Gaviscon…..double yuk!

hope they fix there label and bring it all back.

January 6, 2011 at 2:32 am
(21) Pat says:

This recall, which was probably forced by some government agency, is totally rediculous. So what if there’s a tiny bit of alcohol in the product. Couldn’t they just let them change the label from NOW ON, instead of pulling a product that a lot of people rely on. The only thing left are generic products that taste like the hind end of a cow. Let’s use just a little bit of common sense here, can’t we?

January 9, 2011 at 10:13 am
(22) MaryBeth says:

I cannot believe that the only medication I can take had to be pulled! I had Gastric Bypass a year ago and can only eat certain things and take certain medications, this was the only thing that would help when my stomach was upset. Is there an alternative? Mallox and Tums are not the same in any way!!!!

January 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm
(23) Wendylynn says:

I cant even believe that there would be any alcohol in MYLANTA !!! This is just rediculous !!!!! People that have stomache problems as I do any many , many others that I know do, are not eve suppose to have ANY ALCOHOL !!! this totally disappoints me in this product now !! Thanks Johnson and Johnson-Merck !!!! I know Myself as many others whom will NOT be purchasing your products EVER AGAIN !!

January 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm
(24) Tammy says:

I am very disappointed that Mylanta was taken from the market. I have used this product for years and it seems that all of the other brands they do not work or taste as good as any of the Mylanta Products. To remove a product due to a less than 1% of alcohol seems like another Government Big Brother move. Just for labeling???? Look at all the people who are now feeling poorly what about all of us???? If you think you were mislead by this simple labeling issue, you probably need to quit, eating, drinking, breathing and watching TV. Now thats misled……… I need to know when it is coming back so that I know there is a end to my stomach issues.

January 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm
(25) Terry says:

I too was stunned to see no Mylanta on the shelves.
I also have acid reflux from time to time and nothing
else has worked but Mylanta. My doctor prescribed
this for me. 1% alcohol????
Lets get real. Time to put it back on the shelves.

January 16, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(26) Mike says:

Mylanta is the only thing that works for me. Very disappointed to find it gone from the shelves. Not sure of the need for %1 alcohol but I am do not know much about med’s.

Hope it’s back on the shelf soon!

January 20, 2011 at 1:04 am
(27) Lena says:

I have used mylanta over 30 years it is the only thing that really help me. I get the best relief. I hope they do not take anything out. it may not work.

January 22, 2011 at 5:20 am
(28) Charlotte Lawrence says:

Mylanta was the only thing that helped my constipation. I’ve tried others since, but they didn’t work. I have a rectocele and it causes constipation, but Mylanta helped. Nothing else does. I am suffering very badly now.

I don’t believe it was taken off the market because of a tiny bit of alcohol left off the label. Something very fishy about this.

Whoever makes this should put it back on immediately. People are suffering because of it. And why weren’t we given any notice? If it’s temporary as was Tylenol, we could buy several bottles until it came back on the market. That is, if it’s coming back. No word from Mylanta. Thanks a lot Mylanta for your help.

January 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm
(29) Sandy says:

I use Mylanta Supreme & in it’s absence have found both CVS and Meijer’s brands to be just as effective, although the taste is slightly different. Try these until Mylanta gets back on the shelves.

January 25, 2011 at 10:54 am
(30) Eric says:

Buy Maalox instead. Better price. Been around for years. Trusted.

March 5, 2011 at 2:28 am
(31) Linda says:

Excuse me but I have tried malox and it does not work as well as my mylanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm
(32) Steve says:

I bought CVS generic because there was no Mylanta on the shelf. Talk about bad. It actually upset my stomach. I found out Mylanta was recalled today as I was trying to find some at another store. Alcohol in the flavoring? Go buy some vanilla some time. I don’t see the problem. Anyway it doesnt take 2 months to relable the bottles and why not just put a sticker on the bottle that says contains minute amounts of alcohol? 12 million bottles is a lot of dollars for any company to throw away. J&J, when will we get some Mylanta back.

January 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm
(33) Stefanie says:

At 9 weeks pregnant, Mylanta is one of few medications I am able to take. I am disappointed to see I have to switch brands. Tums chewables don’t work for me and I;m worried liquid Maalox won’t taste the same so i don’t care to take it, please put Mylanta liquid back on the shelf!! It might taste funny and chaulky but it works wonders! Everything has side effects! You have to give some to gain some!

January 27, 2011 at 10:03 pm
(34) jim b says:

As one of the many that views Mylanta as the only viable product to help me I think it was just stupid to pull it from the shelves for such a minor problem. Maybe a notice about what was actually going on would have sufficed, I am very happy that the probably non existent person that this product may have killed (yeah right) hasn’t, I would like to charge the FDA for the extreme pain (if you have it, you know what I am talking about) that I am going through for such a minor mistake, this is another my child is allergic to peanuts, if that’s all you can afford to feed your child it should starve. Let what helps me be pain free be on the market with a warning, you whiney little punks.

January 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm
(35) Char says:

Albertson’s still sells the Mylanta.

February 2, 2011 at 6:11 pm
(36) Carolanne says:

I’m with all those who want their Mylanta back! Maalox is the only equivalent and it tastes gross—I could care less about a miniscule amount of alcohol—just get it on the label and get it back on the shelf! This is ridiculous. All of us with GERD need this product.

February 4, 2011 at 11:13 pm
(37) Sarah says:

I love my MYLANTA it’s the only that works and I want it back!!!!!!!!!! I can not find it anywhere, I drink it like kool-aid and was told to take it while pregnant have never had a problem, although as A hair dresser I do have to tell you it does only take 1 crazy to put those stupid labels on our blowdryers , and flatirons…blowdryer says don not use in bathtub and my 2 inch fltiron says not to use it for your eyelashes or other body hair besides your head hair

February 12, 2011 at 11:06 am
(38) DTuc says:

I have used Mylanta over the years, as have many people I know. Hasn`t caused any problems. Those of you who are spouting off about J&J closing, why don`t you share what you think are the facts that should cause this pharmacy giant to be closed?!
Otherwise, get off your soap box! OK, I`ll get off mine now!

February 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm
(39) Not A J&J Employee or Riva. says:

Oh for goodness sake. So a little alcohol was found in the liquid. Some of you sound like you could use a little bit of it to lighten up.

February 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm
(40) kim says:

i heard the warehouse had mold, this is why their products are being pulled….

March 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(41) Natasha says:

I just wanna know when Mylanta will b back!!! I have used it since I was 16, and am 31! Never had a problem

March 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm
(42) tony says:

my wife and I have taken this for over 20 like since it come out,so why stop put it out now this is !@#$%%^&( . cause we get heartburn alot without our goleabladder.

March 5, 2011 at 2:23 am
(43) Linda says:

I have peptic ulcer disease and have used Mylanta Mint flavored Liquid for many years and resent that the only product on the market that has helped me has been pulled from the shelf because of nit picking! This is the only relief I have found! I want it back: Oh how I resent the FDA!!!!!!

March 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm
(44) Doreen Bishop says:

This really sucks. I’m a colon cancer survivor and only mylanta works for me. It’s easier to buy hard drugs then to find mylanta. I have used it with many drugs and had only great results.How stupid do you think we the people are. Just look at the crap the pharms push on TV.I WANT MY LIQUID MYLANTA BACK!!!! Doreen Bishop, Denver CO.

March 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm
(45) Kim says:

I bet if the truth were known, there would be many many many products with some level of alcohol.

March 16, 2011 at 11:55 am
(46) Debbie says:

How long can it possibly take to change the labeling so that this product can be put back on the shelves??? It has been at least 3 months now and a company that big can not get something this small completed to get it back on the shelves to help people that need it as well as they are loosing money. It is crazy!! Anyone know or heard when they will be getting the label straight and putting back in stores? As of today, 3/16/11 there is still a big sign at our drugstore that says it is not available due to the recall.

March 17, 2011 at 5:02 am
(47) Wendy says:

If this was the only reason it should not be taking all these months to flavor it with a non-alcoholic flavoring and get it back on the shelves. Three has to be more to this then meets the eye. What is it now 3-5 mos and no pharmacy has any idea when if it will ever come back. There has to be moe to this story that the Pharmaceutical Co is not telling.

March 17, 2011 at 5:58 pm
(48) Deone says:

Paul…December 28, 2010 – YOU’RE A JERK!!!

March 19, 2011 at 5:47 am
(49) Michelle Gubbels says:

To the pregnant ladies out there: I’ve had 4 children. With the second one I was quite nauseated the whole pregnancy & probably drank a whole case of mylanta during the 9 months. I was so sick that I only gained 4 pounds the whole pregnancy; however, I had a healthy near 8-pound baby girl about 19 years ago. She graduated 4th in her class in high school & is currently attending TAMU!!. So, quit your worrying & take your mylanta, it works & it’s safe. By the way, my husband is an OB/GYN & he & my OB were fine with this medication. RELAX, you & your baby don’t need the stress. :)

April 11, 2011 at 12:19 am
(50) kathy says:

Started using Mylanta this past june when my husband and I was hit with a cyclic gi disorder. Am writing because we are desperate for some help…just back from cleveland clinic with no help. Starts with severe stomach pain, pain between stomach and sm bowel, vomiting starts feels like sm bowel shuts closed, vomit continuously, even vomit acid, acid acid until it feels like sm bowel opens, then pain moves to small bowel and bowels open, and when I say open i mean pours out, you cannot stop, bowels pour out of you for two days…this has left us with ulcers and my husband has a sm bowel obstruction. Pain is excruciating if we try to get off aciphex. I remember when it first started we were coming back from Florida and the gas pain in my stomach/chest was
so bad i thought I was having a heart attack. For months 1 month or 6 weeks to the day he or I would be hit with another episode. Then we thought we were better in Jan to april no episodes and april 2 I got hit full force with the vomiting again and emptying bowels, my husband 2 days later. I thought possibly it was gone in me because I had some different antibiotics for different things and possibly my husband because he has a better immune system…we need help…I cannot continue vomiting. His ulcers has led to severe iron anemia…our stomachs and intestines are torn up and we both have other conditions that makes this deadly. All tests have come back neg for this. We are so concerned we have picked up something in Florida from foreigners with something that no one knows of yet…its definitely cyclic and obviously contagious. When we first got it mylanta was the only thing that would help our stomach pain..if you have any idea what this could be or where we could go for help please, please write.

May 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm
(51) L says:

This is nuts. My grandmother NEEDS this product, and can’t use the generics or the flavored ones w/o getting sick. Mylanta-brand, regular strength, unflavored is the only thing that works for her GERD. It’s really silly and a huge problem for her that it’s taking them so long to re-label the bottles. If they are discontinuing or going out of business, they need to be up front about it.

May 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm
(52) Toni says:

Mylanta is the best antacid on the market. Please bring it back. It is the only one that work ASAP. Some one always have to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

May 17, 2011 at 12:31 pm
(53) Patricia says:

When is it coming back in the stores? It is the only thing that helps me.
Patricia

May 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm
(54) Jimmy says:

I was curious why I couldn’t find it in the drug stores any more .. recalled because of <1% alcohol??? Sounds like someone wants to make money on acid reflux medicine instead, since Mylanta worked so fast .. I want some of that money!

June 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm
(55) Jane 520 says:

Johnson & Johnson is a great company and I’m sadden that the one wonderful over the counter Mylanta chewable tablets are gone. It was perfect & the only over the counter tablets that really worked for me. I pray and hope it will be returned to the shelves. I have been using it for years. HURRY JOHNSON & JOHNSON GET IT BACK OUT ON THE SHELVES.

June 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm
(56) glenda says:

Please bring Mylanta back. It’s the only thing that helps me instantly when I get a gas attack. Maalox is Not the same product, it does not help me.
Please let us know something about it. thanks.

February 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm
(57) Cmt2Hm says:

You, know people wonder why our products pharmaceutical and other healthcare products are so VERY EXPENSIVE! Because these idiot attorneys make the public believe they are doing them a “SERVICE”, when if people would open their blind eyes and see that these guys are making their fortunes “OUT OF OUR WALLETS” because WE let them. The recall is because there is LESS than 1% alcohol in Mylanta and it is not on the label. Come on people open your eyes, aren’t healthcare products expensive enough yet? I don’t know about you but would you want drink the amount of bottles it would take of Mylanta to get high on that amount of alcohol?

February 23, 2012 at 11:10 am
(58) tosha says:

I was told by my sons pediatrician that I could give my 8 month old 2ml 4 times a day for his reflux disease but only the cherry supreme since it doesn’t have aluminum ……his is identical to the mylanta but not the actual brand his is found at Walmart and its called gerilanta supreme cherry flavor.I hope this helps

March 2, 2012 at 10:09 pm
(59) Leva Quinn says:

You are darn right that J&J do not care who they harm. Take the advice from someone who knows: DON’T EVER TAKE THE ANTIBIOTIC LEVAQUIN. Horrible side affects. On the Mylanta note: Been using the cherry liquid for occasional heartburn and it works well for me. Stumbled upon this site while trying to find out what happened to Mylanta – it’s been wiped completely off the shelves of every store! I can only find it in generic store-brand packaging – it’s not the same and tastes terrible. Never had a side affect from Mylanta, but have never used an excessive amount if it. Maalox does not work near as well.

March 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm
(60) Armando says:

I agree with the comments given about Mylanta. It works!! Sad that now Maalox has been taken off the market .Can some one out there give us some answers?Today date March 9, 2012.

March 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(61) Bonnie says:

Have the tablets been recalled also? Why can’t I find the Mylanta antacid cherry chewable tablets?

March 14, 2012 at 2:21 am
(62) Susan says:

Maalox is gone too and so is Rolaids. What is going on? Should we be worried or is this a ploy to make us buy Pepcid and family? I get rebound from the newer drugs.

March 23, 2012 at 2:10 am
(63) jim says:

Can’t find chewable Maalox or Mylanta tablets anywhere. Vanished from all local major grocery chain shelves. Found this site while searching for an answer to the disappearance.

March 28, 2012 at 5:07 am
(64) Shay says:

I have been searching for Maalox for the past month and a half and can not find it anywhere. Whether liquid or chewables. I feel as though the company should give us some kind of answers as to why the product disappeared off the shelves. When CVS pharmacy stops carrying a product it tends to make one start to wonder.

April 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm
(65) jo leo says:

I miss my mylanta, its the only thing that works. We all want it back!!!!!

April 23, 2012 at 10:20 am
(66) Jawaman says:

Something is really fishy here. It does not take this long to update labelling. This smells like Obama administration. We will have to elect a Republican to get our Mylanta back!

April 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm
(67) Pam says:

I too, am disappointed to see Mylanta gone from the shelves. As an adult I have no issue with 1% alcohol. I am betting that 90% of the never read the label anyway. I have subsequently substituted Maalox and much to my chagrin, end up with diarrhea, several times a month. Please bring Mylanta back. As an aside, I picked up a bottle of Gaviscon that had miraculously filled the empty shelf space. I took one swig and threw the vile stuff away. It numbed my tongue and throat and has a horrible after taste.

April 24, 2012 at 7:47 am
(68) Janel says:

I went searching every store for Maalox & mylanta to mix with lidocaine and donnatol to make a gi cocktail only to find out pepto was my only option.. Yuk pepto gives me heartburn. Damn it. I see alot of people’s points on 1% of alcohol but it is their responsibility to list everything in a product due to liability reasons. Im sure they will fix this in no time knowing many people rely on this stuff. If this is indeed the real truth to the recall im sure they arnt going to leave us hangn too long over some label mishap. I need this stuff too but all i can say is hang in there in the meantime. By the wY if ur havn abdominal issues i suggest u look more into a gi cocktail when these products come back. It works and everytime im have a gullbladder attack or severe stomach pain the ER gives this to me. By the way lidocaine is the key ingredient to stopping the pain… The maalox , mylanta judt makes it better!! Donnatol stops stomach spasms! Hope this help guyz :-)

May 9, 2012 at 8:12 am
(69) Christy says:

I have used Mylanta for years!!! I have drank gallons of the stuff with no adverse reaction–imagine that!! Give us back our heartburn relief!!! This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of!!!

May 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(70) Jinngee says:

I’m glad I found this site for I have been looking for a couple of days now and everywhere I go NO MYLANTA!. Finally I asked the pharmacy what gives and they just stood there looking stupid. After all this time someone should know!

I am freaked and wondering just why they have taken it off the shelves. The silence is errie and scary.

In the meantime what is everyone supposed to do about their stomach issues?

May 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm
(71) Barb says:

I was trying to find Mylanta in several stores, to no avail, Also looked
for Maalox when I couldn’t find the Mylanta. The shelves for both liquids were cleared out. The clerks couldn’t say why.
Here’s my theory: the proton pump inhibitors made by the same Big Pharma cost way more. Take these, and you will clear out your indigestion as well as your wallet. Sounds like they had this planned.
Anyone else agree?

May 23, 2012 at 12:42 am
(72) justin says:

you can buy mylanta antacid ultimate strength chewables through Amazon.com or you can buy the liquid at canadadrugs.com website. Just go on the website and click over the counter drugs and select muro—neutro in the alphabet listed area.You can call them at 1-800-226-3784 if you want to order over the phone. you can also order Maalox to if you are looking for it to.

May 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm
(73) Dolores says:

Not only Mylanta but all the store brands have been pulled.when asked they all say the same thing..they’re missing an “ingredient” they can only get from out of the country and Mylanta and all store brands will be back around Christmas! By the way, I have this bridge I would like you to buy!
Remember Rolaids..sound familiar???!

June 2, 2012 at 11:14 am
(74) Patti says:

They probably want this medicine to become prescription only, so they can charge more money for it.

June 6, 2012 at 10:35 am
(75) Bob says:

I love the product, It has helped my a lot with heartburn. When will it be back on the market? Can’t wait.

July 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(76) ike says:

I bet they did not donate to the Damocrats, This is just more Government extortion and corruption.

August 7, 2012 at 11:57 am
(77) carolyn says:

It has been off the market since December, 2010? Why is it not back on the shelves. My doctor must not know about this, else why would he tell my Father In Law to use it to treat his ulcer? Maalox can’t be found anywhere around her either. The pharmacist says there is a shortage because the military uses it to kill the effects of tear gas… wonder it that is true?

August 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm
(78) guidale says:

Time to ask the FDA what’s up. Did they find and association between use and increase in chronic illnesses? It is time the public were fully informed.

August 28, 2012 at 9:46 am
(79) Cat says:

This sucks!!! I have ulcers and Mylanta is the only thing that helps when the Nexium isn’t helping. I had to pay the emergency room so I could get a gastro cocktail. This is MYLANTA!!!! I had to pay for the hospital when I could have just bought a bottle of Mylanta over the counter and been fine. I understand the alcohol and pulling them, but PLEASE get it back on the shelves!!!!! I need it!!!! Does anyone know when they are going to get it back on the shelves?

August 30, 2012 at 10:50 am
(80) Kevin says:

Pretty freaky. Mylanta was recalled nearly two years ago because of not labeling the minute amount of alcohol. Weird. Maalox had problems with people confusing problems intended for different uses. Both just labeling issues–how long should it take to fix??

Just called both Mylanta and Maalox consumer lines. Both cite vague facility maintenance and upgrades as reason for not getting products to shelves. Maalox rep claimed the company decides to shut down production on their own just as their major competitor is down for the count?

Nothing I’m hearing makes a lot of sense. Money is the motivation for just about everything these days, and if pills that cost more are made by the same companies–as someone suggested–perhaps the companies that make these products “stumbled” onto the realization that they could be more profitable by eliminating the lquids–at least for as long as the public allows it.

It definitely seems strange–and I really wonder why there’s been nothing in the news and investigative TV news magazines on this. Seems like there should be.

September 21, 2012 at 2:12 am
(81) sue says:

I have been suffering with bleeding ulcers and internal bleeding have tried about everything on the shelf they either make you puck or bind you so bad your stomach is in pain . Maalox was one of the alternatives that physcians tell you should try to help . I thought it was help now I find it was dangereous . And no one ever said it was recalled a store just told me it wasn’t a best seller so we pulled it , I spent most of the night trying to go to stores to find it no one had a answer of it was recalled because of problems . I’m glad I came home to check on the internet or It could be serious to me,I have enough bleeding don’t need anymore.

October 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm
(82) Nancy says:

I want my mylanta back please. Regular strength, unflavored is the only thing that works for me and I have used it for decades with no problems

November 30, 2012 at 9:20 am
(83) kaitlin says:

Check your local dollar stores. My 99 cents Only store carries a Mylanta equivalent and it tastes pretty good too.

December 4, 2012 at 2:13 am
(84) Dana says:

I have been suffering from h pylori and sever stomach pains caused by ulcers. Mylanta was my go to drug, and btw a gi cocktail will only make u nauseated. The lidocaine makes ur throat numb as well and makes for a very weird feeling. Anyways, although I miss my real mylanta, the cvs brand taste the same just isn’t as thick, which sucks. Please just bring this back. So sad in 2012 we have people begging for mylanta,…

December 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm
(85) chuck says:

Sounds to me like j&j is being squeezed by someone in the government league. Pay up or cease and disist and some one else is unhappy with j&j success. 1% alcohol would not kill an ant how the —- do you think it will hill a human. If you have meds you cannot take with 1% alcohol then find something else to take as an antacid. Use your head for something else besides running your mouth. It’s good for you to think logically instead of getting your undies in a twist about something that does work for a lot of people. Let it go, and live with it.

January 11, 2013 at 9:51 am
(86) rjt says:

I just want Mylanta to get back on the shelves for sale. It is the ONLY one worth its money. I am sad that it’s been over a year now and it is stil unavailable.

January 14, 2013 at 4:58 pm
(87) Bill says:

one more for the corporations which poison our waters, poison our food, poison the air we breathe…actual reason for why the product was taken off the shelfs was due to incorrect labeling due to the incorrect dosages within the bottles. would be a real shame if people started dropping like flies because the dosages within the bottles were wrong causing people to take incorrect amounts which would really hurt people. the corps do not care about anyone but themselves. it’s pretty evident when you look at all the recalls for the multitude of products which are sold in stores across the country. as far as the corps are concerned, we should buy their crap and don’t question anything they do. period.

March 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm
(88) Chuchi says:

It was pulled because it was not listed on the label and could have a law suit against them, that’s why!

February 26, 2014 at 9:30 pm
(89) joe says:

i would think 0.5% of alcohol would harm you more then 1% the ones they sell in the store now with 0.5% and the company are Equate this is by walmart and family wellness is by family dollar store and both of these are 0.5% alcohol so 1% ant that bad not what they sell in store now