1. Health
Vincent Iannelli, M.D.

Similac Recall 2010

By September 23, 2010

I have a little bit more information about the Similac recall.

In addition to the larger plastic tubs of Similar formula, lots of recalled Similac formula includes:

• Similac Sensitive Isomil Soy - 12.4-oz cans - only lots numbers containing RB
  • Similac Advance - 12.4-oz cans - only lots numbers containing RB

Remember that all lots of Similac branded powder in the rectangular, plastic tubs are part of the recall. These are the larger 1.38-lb (22-oz), 1.45-lb (23.2-oz), and 2.12-lb (34-oz) tubs of Similac formula and seem to include the following products:

• Similac Advance
  • Similac Advance EarlyShield
  • Similac Sensitive
  • Similac Isomil Advance
  • Similac Sensitive Isomil Soy
  • Similac Organic
  • Similac Organic and Similac Advance Organic
  • Similac Sensitive R.S.
  • Similac Sensitive for Spit-Up
  • Similac Go & Grow
  • Similac Go & Grow EarlyShield
  • Similac Go & Grow Soy

If you have any other types of Similac formula powder in smaller 8-oz, 12.4-oz and 12.9-oz cans, then you will have to continue to try and check the Similac recall website to see if the lot number on the bottom of your can is part of the recall. Keep in mind that the Similac recall may include the smaller 8-oz cans that parents often get as samples from doctor's offices and hospitals.

We have now posted the full list of Similac recall lot numbers for parents to search. Check to see if your Similac formula has been recalled.

Similac formula that is not part of the Similac recall includes:

• all liquid forms of Similac formula
  • all concentrated forms of Similac formula
  • small size powder forms of Similac formula (0.6-oz singles)
  • Similac Expert Care Alimentum
  • Similac Expert Care Neosure
  • Elecare
  • Similac Human Milk Fortifier
Comments
September 23, 2010 at 2:14 pm
(1) Leona says:

Add 90333T20 2258 To the list of recalled formula…This is getting to be ridiculous every time i turn around there’s something for children being recalled…My son’s crib has been recalled for the drop down sides, now my daughters formula what’s next there clothing?

September 23, 2010 at 3:27 pm
(2) Linda says:

BREASTFEED, BREASTFEED, BREASTFEED!!! No one will ever recall your breastmilk or tell you its not the purest and cleanest thing for your baby to have. Call your local public health office for more information about breastfeeding and to speak with a Certified Lactation Counselor.

September 23, 2010 at 3:44 pm
(3) Cortney says:

What about the mothers that cannot breastfeed for several reasons?? Some of us do not have that luxury and have to find other means to feed our children. I agree that it is getting rediculous that so many things are being recalled for children. And those of that do formula feed know that switching formulas is not good for little tummies.

September 23, 2010 at 3:46 pm
(4) Connie says:

Im pissed off with you people that only think of your stupid self and your money! hope you all go to hell.

September 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm
(5) kelly says:

Wow Connie. Don’t know where that is coming from. I am cocerned about the recll because I have been feeding my newborn the recalled Similac and he has been sick for about a week. And Linda, not all of us can breastfeed. My milk never came in. What do you expect me to do? Let my baby go hungry? Its been 6 weeks and my baby had no choice but to be on formula. Please keep comments like that to yourself until you know all of the facts about a particular situation. I wish I could hae breastfed. It would be so much easier at 2am than making a bottle.

September 24, 2010 at 2:21 am
(6) Amanda says:

What about our babies who have feeding issues to where we can not breastfeed??? I tried so hard, and my daughter could not tolerate the lactose. You shouldn’t be so closed-minded when you make comments like that. It is perfectly okay for mothers to formula feed. It should not be your intentions to make us feel bad when we are doing what’s best for our child. Not everyone can fall under one category. So please, the next time you make comments, have an open mind to various situations.

September 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm
(7) Sherryl says:

For Trish: You say you spend hundreds of dollars a year to feed what is “best on the market”…even before the “beetlejuice” scare, you were being ripped off…every good mother knows that BREASTMILK IS THE BEST ON THE MARKET, COMES IN ALL SIZES AND NEVER CONTATINS BEETLES.

FOR EVERYONE, YOU SHOULD REALLY LOOK UP THE APPROVED INGREDIENTS IN FORMULA. SEARCH THEIR “REAL NAMES” NOT THE SCIENTIFIC ONES. MOST OF YOUR BABY’S FORMULA CONTAINS WORMS, ALGAE, DEPRESSION/SLEEP INDUCING AIDS ETC.

AGAIN,,,,BREASTMILK IS ALWAYS BEST!!!!

September 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm
(8) Amanda says:

SO WHAT DO I DO WHEN MY TWINS ARE BORN AT 35 WKS AND MY MILK DOESN’T COME IN FOR 3 MORE WEEKS AND THEY ARE PREMATURE WEIGHTS??????? I DID NOTHING WRONG FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. THANK GOODNESS I LIVE IN THE MODERN TIMES WHEN FORMULA EXISTS OR ELSE THEY WOULD BE DRINKING GOAT MILK AND MILK GRAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I realize this is not the place for this discussion, but it is also not the place for your egocentric, close minded OPINIONS! I was formula fed, as was most of my generation. We are all thriving!

September 24, 2010 at 9:01 pm
(9) kris says:

What about ones that were told to stop nursing because their child is so allergic but it turned out to be the formula???????????? Stop being selfish and think that everyone who bottle feeds choses it out of convience. Tell what is the convience of making, cleaning, wahing, warming. It is so much easier to nurse. I am really pisssssssssssssed about this.

September 25, 2010 at 5:53 pm
(10) nicole says:

To all you ignorant mothers out there that think it’s so easy to breastfeed, its not for everyone!!! My two girls were only able to breastfeed for 1 month a piece because my milk never came in…im not going to let my kids starve. Put your feet in your mouths ladies…you are nothing but judgmental A**holes…we can’t all be cows…

September 25, 2010 at 8:07 pm
(11) Angela Lo says:

I tried so hard to breastfeed and my milk never came in either. My son would nurse for 2 hours at a time and would still be hungry. I pumped with a hospital grade pump after I nursed him and continually for 6 months. I was exhausted and just had to stop for my sanity! You don’t think it upsets me that I wasn’t able to properly breastfeed? Was I supposed to let him starve is that better? It is unfair for other to judge how we feed our babies. Every baby and situation is different.

September 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(12) shawn says:

my wifes milk never fully came in like i did nine months ago and now we have no choice but to buy beetlejuice so if you have so much breast milk then sell us some ……..

September 27, 2010 at 9:22 am
(13) Sherryl says:

FOR AMANDA:
THERE WERE MANY MORE OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO YOU IN THE SITUATION YOU DISCRIBED AND YOUR PEDIATRICIAN(S) AND MEDICAL TEAM SHOULD HAVE INFORMED YOU ABOUT THEM.
IF YOUR BABIES WERE PREMATURE AND YOU HAD NO MILK SUPPLY (ALTHOUGH KEEP IN MIND IT IS SUPPLY AND DEMAND), YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN ELIGIBLE AND A PRIME CANDIDATE FOR DONOR MILK.
YOUR DOCTORS ALSO SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU HOW IMPORTANT BREASTMILK IS FOR THE SUCCESS RATE OF PREMATURE INFANTS TO THRIVE.
IF YOU WERE NOT EDUCATED ON THESE THINGS, I WOULD QUESTION MY MEDICAL TEAM.
I HELP MOMS IN YOUR SITUATION ALL THE TIME AND BELIEVE ME, THE OUTCOME CAN BE VERY SUCCESSFUL.
AS FAR AS BEING EGOCENTRICAL; IF HAVING MORE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE HEALTH AND NUTRITION OF YOUR CHILDREN THAN YOU DO YOURSELF, MAKES ME HAVE AN EGO, THEN I WILL GLADLY WEAR THAT TITLE……

September 27, 2010 at 9:44 am
(14) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

“AS FAR AS BEING EGOCENTRICAL; IF HAVING MORE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE HEALTH AND NUTRITION OF YOUR CHILDREN THAN YOU DO YOURSELF, MAKES ME HAVE AN EGO, THEN I WILL GLADLY WEAR THAT TITLE.”

Being egocentric, or “having little or no regard for interests, beliefs, or attitudes other than one’s own; self-centered:” is rarely a good thing.

I am a strong advocate of breastfeeding, but trying to scare moms into breastfeeding because of the Similac recall or because you state that their ‘BABY’S FORMULA CONTAINS WORMS, ALGAE, DEPRESSION/SLEEP INDUCING AIDS ETC.’ is likely not going to win you over many people.

September 27, 2010 at 2:14 pm
(15) Sherryl says:

I am not trying to scare anyone, but they should educate themselves about what they are feeding thier babies/children…..
I am not looking to “win anyone over”, only open up some eyes.
Besides, I am not the one resorting to foul language and name calling, all of my posts are simply informative and full of things these moms can find out on their own with a little research.

September 27, 2010 at 4:27 pm
(16) tom says:

Sherryl you are probably the type of mother that drinks and feeds your child. You sound drunk right now. Maybe you should work on yourself before you tell others what to do with their lives. You’re the type of person that is living a terrible life and feels better putting others down.

September 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm
(17) Tracey says:

If breastfeeding is the best thing then why do babies that are breastfeed need vitamins? Sherryl you think what ever you say is the way to go. Well, it’s not! Breastfeeding causes a lot of stress to new moms. Babies can sense the stress. Don’t you think it is better for newborns to be in a layed back household? You are the type of person that likes to tell others what to think and believe because you have a terrible life and it makes you feel better to put others down…Don’t!!!

September 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm
(18) Sherryl says:

Once again, it is you folks who have to depend on putting people down, calling them names etc. I have done nothing of the sort, only provided good sound information….funny that should make me seem as though I am drunk????
However, ignorance is bliss as most of you have proven!

September 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm
(19) sarah says:

PS- This situation has nothing to do with breastfeeding. I laugh at people who are so ignorant to throw breastfeeding burns at a time like this.

September 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm
(20) john says:

why don’t you guys take this somehwere else – isn’t the important thing that your chidren get formula or milk that is not possibly tainted with beetles
breast feeding is a choice in MOST situations – keep that in mind Amanda did what she had to do just like millions of women

October 4, 2010 at 2:08 am
(21) lisa says:

my baby was in the hospital two weeks before the recall, he had campylobacter,(we cant not figure out where he got it, no trips to the rivers, no playing with animal poop, no idea at all) does anyone hink this could be related to him being on similac? Oh course i immediately changed formula when i heard about the recall, what iam asking is if its possible where do i start researching? Iam so upset at the thought that it could be from the formula and if thats the case, the formula is contaimentated weeks before they recalled the product. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

October 6, 2010 at 11:23 am
(22) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

“he had campylobacter, (we cant not figure out where he got it, no trips to the rivers, no playing with animal poop, no idea at all) does anyone think this could be related to him being on similac?”

Campylobacteriosis, an infection caused by the Campylobacter bacteria, is not that uncommon, with the CDC stating that it ‘is estimated to affect over 2.4 million persons every year, or 0.8% of the population.’

The CDC also states that:

*Campylobacteriosis usually occurs in single, sporadic cases
*Most cases of campylobacteriosis are associated with eating raw or undercooked poultry meat or from cross-contamination of other foods by these items
*Infants may get the infection by contact with poultry packages in shopping carts
*Even one drop of juice from raw chicken meat can infect a person

CDC Campylobacter General Information

The Similac recall has not been linked to Campylobacter infections or Salmonella infections or any other type of infections.

Tips on preventing cross-contamination:
Be Smart. Keep Foods Apart.

October 6, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(23) christine says:

ok enough!!!! let’s not fight on who should breast feed and who should bottle feed. we all have different needs. let us focus on what the problem is THE RECALL OF SIMILAC. for those that can’t bf maybe there is another formula you can use. i switched from similac to enfamill because my baby didn’t like the concentrated one. and for those that can bf well more power to you. LET’S NOT BADGER each other on who can and who can’t, open minded close minded nonsense. let’s focus on the problem at hand.

October 6, 2010 at 9:18 pm
(24) Jess says:

My daughter is 11 months and was on similac until about 10-12 months. We have received letters from the manufacturer stating that we may have received the tainted formula.
My daughter had RSV at 13 months and since then has had a lactase defencency and “toddler’s diarhea”. I have questioned her general doctorm, but not her GI doc about the recall causing these problems. She has been tested for bacteria, O&P, fat reducing, PH, general chemistries, cystic fibrosis, celiac spruce, chrones, and IBS just to name a few.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

Thanks.

October 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm
(25) Nancy says:

Ladies, a lot of you are so misinformed and making so many excuses for not breastfeeding that it is sickening. BREASTFED BABIES DO NOT NEED EXTRA VITAMINS. WOMEN WHO BREASFEED ARE NOT COWS. MILK DOES NOT “DRY UP” or “NOT COME IN” FOR NO REASON IN A NURSING MOTHER. BREASFEEDING TAKES A COMMITMENT FROM THE MOM AND THE SUPPORTIVE PEOPLE AROUND HER. And it will never hurt to say it once again that breastmilk is and always will be the healthiest choice for babies. Beetles can’t get into your breastmilk accidentally and neither can anything else.

October 10, 2010 at 11:16 am
(26) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

“BREASTFED BABIES DO NOT NEED EXTRA VITAMINS. ”

This should in no way take anything away from all of the benefits of breastfeeding or imply that there is anything wrong with breastfeeding, but the latest recommendations are that ‘exclusively breastfed infants receive a vitamin D supplement of 400 IU each day (such as 1.0ml of Enfamil D-Vi-Sol).’

Vitamin D

Even the La Leche League now states that ‘Human milk does not appear to have adequate amounts of vitamin D for a growing infant.’ Sure, that has more to do with the fact of a baby’s ‘lack of adequate sun exposure,’ and the ‘dangers of repeated sun exposure,’ than that that ‘human milk is somehow inferior to a commercial formula.’

Still, exclusively breastfed babies should get a vitamin D supplement, so they do need extra vitamins.
How Do We Help Mothers with Vitamin D Questions?

October 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm
(27) Nancy says:

Your are wrong Dr. Ianelli. I have breastfed 3 extremely healthy children and never had to give any of them any extra viatmins. No doctors have ever even suggested giving my babies extra vitamins. And I believe that the quote you gave from the La Leche League must somehow have been taken out of context by you because that is a ridiculous statement. It is an impossibility that the food that is meant for a human infant to drink in order to grow is somehow deficient in a specific vitamin. And I find it interesting to that you suggest in your reply to me that breastfed babies be given a supplement like Enfamil D-Vi-Sol. Another product of a formula company! Do you perhaps work for one of the formula companies sir?

October 10, 2010 at 8:58 pm
(28) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

“And I believe that the quote you gave from the La Leche League must somehow have been taken out of context by you because that is a ridiculous statement”

I included a link to the La Leche site where I got the quotes in my previous comment. You may check it for yourself.

Keep in mind that the quote was not saying that formula was better. It was saying that we should now supplement breastfeeding babies with vitamin D because we have changed our sun protection practices (kids aren’t in the sun anymore), rather than that ‘human milk is somehow inferior to a commercial formula.’

In the past, it was thought that breast fed babies could get all of the vitamin D they needed through simple sun exposure. It is now thought by most experts that those benefits of sun exposure are far outweighed by the risks of being in the sun and that infants under six months should be kept out of the sun. And older infants and children should always be protected with sunscreen.

This sun protection greatly decreases how much vitamin D a child can get on their own, which was the reason for the call for vitamin supplementation. Formula fed babies get that extra vitamin D in formula. Breastfed babies can get in from taking a vitamin D supplement.

You may not believe it is necessary, but those are the current recommendations, and the La Leche League does now recommend them too.

Here is another one from the La Leche League:

Vitamin D Requirements During Infancy:Reading Between the Lines

which states ‘at this time, supplementation of the breastfeeding infant with 400 IU of vitamin D per day should continue to be recommended.’

October 13, 2010 at 4:44 am
(29) Jalzffer101 says:

Are we sure that the real problem with the milk formula are really the bugs and larvae?
Are we suppose to just take their word for it?
Did the FDA really checked the milk formula, did they did some testing and sampling?
Or did they just accept the reason and information abbott gave them?
I have done some research and noticed that there was also a recall of some milk formula in china that was causing some breast enlargement in infants. This happened a few weeks before the similac recall. Maybe they have the same problem.
Companies have a tendency to hide their mistakes.

We checked my daughter’s breast and found some enlargement under both of her nipples and she is only 9 months.
Has anyone notice the same thing?
Please check your children for the same problem.

November 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm
(30) Krista says:

Nancy…sorry what did you say your professional background is that your knowledge is superior to that of an MD?? …and how old are your three children? because this information was given to me at the hospital when my son was born 4 months ago…so it is very current!! and what does your concern with vitamins have to do with the similac recall anyway???

November 23, 2010 at 9:42 pm
(31) kelsey says:

my baby wouldn’t lach on so i couldn’t breast-feed i wanted to so bad cause its good for there immune system and bones and helps fight off sicknesses so i put him on similar soy cause his tummy is very sensitive then all of a sudden he got sick he wouldn’t do a vowel movement for me for a week then my dad calls me saying they recalled his formula i didn’t no what to do cause my baby is very picky on the formula so me and my boyfriend went to walmart and i called my peditrition she told me to go on parents choice soy but he didn’t like it so i really didn’t no what to do thank goodness walmart had the liquid soy for only 3.84$ so from that day thats what we have been buying for him i just want to no when the powder formula is coming back

November 28, 2010 at 12:57 am
(32) Stephanie Lovato says:

Wow, I was directed to this site while looking for information on a time frame as to when I might expect the Similac Organic formula to be back on the market. The comments above inspire me to comment:
#1 When my baby (now 9 months old) was 8 weeks old I gave up on breast feeding for a variety of reasons….poor weight gain and the related emotional stress on my part to name a few. I switched her to Similac Organic and never looked back.
#2 When the recall occurred I was naturally concerned…I subsequently checked 16 empty cartons in my recycle bin in the garage (which had provided the previous 4 months of formula). They ALL were part of the recall….. and guess what? My daughter has been, and continues to be, perfectly healthy despite this.
#3 In 9 months, my daughter has not been sick (save for one small episode of “sniffles”) nor has been to her pediatrician other than for “well-child visits.”
#4 My brother and I were not breast fed. In 39 years of life, I have probably taken antibiotics on six occasions. My brother is a professional athlete and one of the healthiest, strongest people I know. We both have a great relationship with our mom. Point: there are plenty of healthy people roaming around, with great maternal bonds, who were formula fed.
#5 The ONLY thing I am looking for from Abbot is: WHEN can I expect a return of Organic formula?!

February 28, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(33) Noela Wright says:

would like the phone number so I can explain why I am
getting my grandson,s mail from Similace Club,

I have some here for him
Noela