1. Health
Vincent Iannelli, M.D.

Simplicity Bassinet Recall

By August 21, 2009

Simplicity Bassinet Recall - Photo courtesy of the CPSCThe U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled about 900,000 convertible 'close-sleeper/bedside sleeper' Simplicity bassinets on August 27, 2008. This followed the death of several infants who strangled after getting caught in the metal bars of these Simplicity bassinets.

Unfortunately, two more infants have died in recalled Simplicity bassinets since last year, and the CPSC is once again urging parents and other caregivers to stop using these Simplicity 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 convertible bassinets, including bassinets with the Graco logo and “Winnie the Pooh” motif licensed by Disney Consumer Products.

If you have a Simplicity bassinet, be sure to check the model number and the manufacture date code to see if it is included in the recall, and if it is, stop using it immediately. Although Simplicity Inc. is no longer in business, the CPSC reports that several retailers, including Wal-Mart, Toys “R” Us, and Target, have agreed to provide refunds or store credit if you bought the recalled Simplicity bassinet from them.

Related:
CPSC Alert Simplicity Bassinets
Baby Cribs
Baby Product Recalls
Pediatrician-Recommended Products

Comments
January 17, 2010 at 2:03 pm
(1) CC says:

Thank you for informing us of this horrible product. It is a shame that some companies are willing to make a quick dollar at the expense of innocent children. Thank you!

October 30, 2010 at 10:02 pm
(2) Gabby says:

The only problem is that neither Walmart nor Toys R Us takes the bassinet back. I tried both, but since I do not have the box with the UPC code, they would not help me. What a shame! They sell it to you and then good or bad, you are stuck with it.

November 7, 2010 at 8:10 am
(3) Jessica says:

@ Gabby: Wal Mart should be able to look it up by the model number. My mother works there, and she told me this since we’re also about to take ours back.

November 10, 2010 at 9:29 am
(4) Kay says:

Nov 8, 2010 I discovered the bassinet had been recalled, I called the recall center and was told to take it back to Wal-Mart or Babies R Us . I went to our local Wal-Mart in Hornell, NY. I was very pleased with the response, they returned my money in full. I want to thank Wal-Mart for their concern for our children.

November 13, 2010 at 11:53 am
(5) Melissa says:

I just found out mine is recalled as well. Can someone give me the recall number to contact so that I can bring it back as well. I know it is well over a year since the recall.

December 30, 2010 at 9:52 am
(6) Pathli says:

Kay,
Did you have a recipt? I cant seem to find mine.

January 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm
(7) Dawn says:

I just called BRU and they told me to contact the manufacturer for a voucher. There is no way I still have that receipt since I purchased the bassinet in 2008. If anyone has any tips on getting some cash back or a voucher, I’m all ears!

January 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm
(8) Dawn says:

I called the SPSC and they said my best bet is to put it in the car and drive to Wal-Marts, BRUs and Targets until I find one that will take it. Sounds like a good time, yes? :)

August 4, 2011 at 8:56 am
(9) Dixie says:

Hi Dawn,

I just found this website after 3 days of phone calls to Babies R Us stores, headquarters, SPSC….. I was wondering if you had any luck returning this product? I have model #3013 and no UPC code. Hopefully someone had the same model # on this forum and will see this post.

Dixie

March 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm
(10) erica says:

i have simpilcity bassinet but i triedto take it to walmart and they said they cant do anything without a upc code how do i get this code. how can i check if my model number 3012oxf and manufacture code 4507wf is on the list. help me find this upc code please i dont want this product to be used ever again…. these companies making these things for children should be ashamed of there selves. children safety should be these companies frist priority and pay close attention on how they make them. this takes innocent kids lives!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2011 at 8:24 am
(11) Crystal says:

Erica…. I am having the same problem. I cant seem to find the store where that model number is from. Have you had any luck???? Please let me know. Thank you

May 3, 2011 at 9:36 am
(12) Patricia says:

I have the same problem. Called walmart and target and neither one says they carried mine. I think that 3012 is from walmart, but all you can do is call the customer service lines to see. Don’t call the stores because they won’t find the recall in the store unless they go in the archieve system and most of them won’t. Just use the main numbers.

October 10, 2011 at 11:44 am
(13) Cindi says:

Model 3012 OXF has a UPC code # 74102230126

April 21, 2011 at 8:21 am
(14) Crystal says:

Im trying to figure out what store my recalled bassinet is from. I looked online and found several stores where it could have been bought. I’ve called a few of them and they said its not their model #. If anyone knows which store model number 30120XF is from please let me know? Any information is helpful. Thank you

October 10, 2011 at 11:50 am
(15) Cindi says:

3012 OXF was sold at Walmart with UPC # 74102230126

May 3, 2011 at 9:41 am
(16) Patricia says:

Crystal,

Call the 1-800-walmart line or the customer service lines to the stores that you are calling. Don’t call the store. Give them the number and if it was sold their they will find it. Get the UPC, Item number and cost from them that way you have it when you get to the store. They will find the information or use what you have to return it. Might take a little bit, but it will get done if you have the information.

August 4, 2011 at 8:53 am
(17) Dixie says:

I am glad I found this website. I am having the same problem as all of you. I had a second baby and got ready to use my bassinet only to find out about the recall. Babies R Us is willing to help me and give me a refund, but I didn’t keep the original box and do not have the UPC code. Did any of you have model #3013? If so, do you still have the UPC code? I have a new baby and I would love to exchange the bassinet for a new and much safer one. Thank you in advance for any
responses to this email!

October 10, 2011 at 11:45 am
(18) Cindi says:

Model # 3013 was sold at Babies R US/Toys R Us with Item # 640481.

September 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm
(19) jackie says:

I have a Simplicity thats identicle to that but the recall # was not the same as mine… but it looks like the same bassinet only mine has different bedding. I used it for both my daughters but never used the bedside sleeper. It wasn’t the easiest thing to figure out so I left it be. Thank GOD I didnt! That is scary!

October 10, 2011 at 11:48 am
(20) Cindi says:

The Illinois Attorney General Consumer website has a list of all the UPC and product numbers associated with the model #’s in this recall. Check their website at http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/rest_assured_guide_onlineversion.pdf

December 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm
(21) Ben says:

I just found about this recall. I how ever don’t have the receipt anymore. How can you return it and get something else ? Is there a time limit you have to return a recall?

January 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(22) Melissa says:

I am having my second child and just realized this basinet is recalled. I had original receipts for it from babies r us. I paid 100 for it but they told me all they can reimburse is 36.00. Of course simplicity is out of business so.now I’m stuck w a recalled product and have to pay for a whole new one. This is horrible!!!

February 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm
(23) Elizabeth says:

I went on line to get information so I could sell it on craigslist and saw it was recalled. From all of the information posted here, I decided to call my local walmart in Henrietta NY. They gave me a full cash refund, no questions asked. I printed out all of the information on this web page and from another web page and took it into walmart with the basssinet and users guide. I was done within 20 minutes.

February 24, 2012 at 12:43 am
(24) angela says:

Tonight as I was laying my son down in his bassinett, I noticed it looked a little lopsided, so I bent down to get a closer look, here where the leg and bottom part meet, had cracked! I looked up the model on here, and found this! I am absolutely livid! I always make it a point to send in the card, and yet I have NEVER been notified of this recall..So not only could my son have been suffocated to death, but he could have also fallen from it as well! This is not right, I only hope that they exchange this product or refund my money, as my son is only 2 months old, and I depended a lot on my bassinett!

May 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm
(25) Meg says:

I have a #3070…any idea where this came from and if there’s a UPC for it?

For those of you unable to return it, seems like it might be pretty simple to just add a piece of fabric from the bottom stitching, around the co-sleeper lower pole, and back down to the bottom fabric. It will solve the problem, as the bassinets with this adjusted piece were not recalled. Would be a LOT cheaper than buying a whole new bassinet! I’ll be doing this if I can’t return mine.

May 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm
(26) Meg says:

Also, an even easier fix, add snaps to the fabric so you can attach the over-fabric to the bassinet fabric itself when you move it to a co-sleeper. That will only take like 5 minutes and require no sewing machine! :)

May 5, 2012 at 12:01 am
(27) Meg says:

Follow up to my follow up. I don’t know if all models have this, but at least on this one there is a basket underneath the bassinet. It’s attached to the frame with snaps. The strap attached to the blanket has several different snaps on it to adjust for the height that you have the bassinet at (i.e. the height of your bed). Unless you have a giant bed, you won’t be using the highest setting and will have a minimum of one extra snap on the strap from the basket. On the fabric that lays over the lower co-sleeping bar there are snaps on the back of it that attack to other snaps when the main bar is in place to keep the fabric over the bar. When it’s in cosleeper mode, these snaps are not used. They EASILY reach to the snap strap attached to the basket/frame, and snap in place. This holds the fabric down and makes it darn near impossible for the baby to pull that fabric off the cosleeper bar and there is NO way a kid would be able to slide under anything using these straps. I have to use two hands to detach it.

Quite honestly, though, if you are following the co-sleeper instructions 100% like you should be, I’m not even sure why this is recalled. With the cosleeper firmly against the side of your bed, the strap run under your mattress, and the plate on the other side of the bed…there is absolutely no way a baby could slide under the railing and fall enough to strangle themselves. There would be nowhere for their body to go, regardless of whether or not there is fabric over the co-sleeper bar.

November 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm
(28) amanda says:

I just got a simplicity bassinet at a local resale store. Numbers on bottom are model #3112DOH7 manfacturer’s code 4507WF. Was this a recalled one and if is can I fix issue myself? I did purchase 2nd hand so don’t thank any company could assist. Thank you.

December 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm
(29) Lisa says:

I bought the simplicity bassinet model number 3040 LAU. I googled the model and name to make sure it wasn’t recalled and it is. Well I took it to walmart and they can’t find my model number in their system . So now I guess I am stuck going store to store unroll I find who carried it.

December 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm
(30) amy says:

I have one of the recalled beds. Only I cant find a model number anywhere. I know its recalled because it matches the pictures of recalled ones ive seen. Does anyone know of a website that has pictures with model numbers? Its green and cream colored with cream lambs on the mobile.. Target said they could take it back if I could come up with a model number. I tried the link above to see upc’s and model numbers but it doesnt work.. SO frustrating..

March 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm
(31) tracy says:

This has been a terrible experience. I called Target and they said that they would take the bassinet back, after 2 hours of waiting in the store, they would not take it. Then I called Walmart, they also said that they would take it but after an hour there, they wouldn’t. I just want to get rid of it and get my money back. Any ideas?

April 21, 2013 at 11:57 pm
(32) emmy-june.com says:

A few fine points in this article and seriously didnt have
a clue concerning almost any of this earlier so
thanks for the insight

April 26, 2013 at 3:00 pm
(33) sharon says:

Amanda I have the same one as you and the upc at walmart is 74102223112
I just called the home office number and got it

April 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(34) sharon says:

Tracy, call walmart home office, you can get the number online, and talk to someone there. I called them and got the upc # and info on how to return and they asked me what store I would take it to, and said if any problems have them call the home office.

May 19, 2013 at 7:47 am
(35) Meghan says:

I do exactly what Meg suggested. I bought this secondhand without knowing of the recall. The snaps from the flap fit onto the snaps on the basket adjustment straps perfectly and as far as I can see problem solved. For added measure I think I’ll make a sleeve to keep the bars together in case the snaps somehow get unsnapped, but I have to tug with two hands to free them. This is a great basinet I am sad to hear of the mistakes on simplicity’s side.

June 27, 2013 at 1:34 am
(36) Kristina says:

I have one of the bassinets that were recalled is been in storage since my first child i got it out and found out about recall can i still return it?

May 20, 2014 at 10:52 am
(37) Nan says:

Great articale thanks for the helpful post