1. Health
Vincent Iannelli, M.D.

Simplicity Cribs - Simplicity Crib Recall

By July 2, 2009

Simplicity Crib Recall - Photo courtesy of the CPSCThe U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced the recall of another 400,000 Simplicity Drop Side Cribs because the 'crib’s plastic hardware can break or deform, causing the drop side to detach.' This follows the crib recall of 1 million Simplicity cribs in 2007 and 2008.

There has been at least one death of an infant and 25 other incidents that involve the drop side detaching from the crib, which allow the infant to become entrapped between the drop side and the crib mattress. These recalled Simplicity cribs were sold between January 2005 through June 2009 and include model numbers 8050, 8325, 8620, 8745, 8748, 8755, 8756, 8765, 8778, 8810, and 8994, 8995, 8996.

Unfortunately, the CPSC reports that Simplicity Inc. no longer seems to be in business, so no repair kits are available and parents will have to stop using these cribs and find a safer, alternative crib. The CPSC does state that parents can try to 'return the crib to the place of purchase for a refund, replacement or store credit.'

Related:
Simplicity Crib Recalls
CPSC: Simplicity Drop Side Cribs Recall Alert
Crib Safety
Baby Cribs

Comments
July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm
(1) Pheshetta says:

This same thing happened to my 19 month old baby. Thankfully she ended up being okay but this recall is real and it really can happen to you.

July 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm
(2) John says:

I returned my 2.5 year old nursery in a box to Walmart today without a receipt and they gave me $209.95 cash.

November 17, 2011 at 12:17 am
(3) michelle says:

we tried to take ours back to walmart today and what they did is looked at how much there cheapest crib was and said that’s all they could do for us. They gave us 80.00 for a 200.00 dollar crib. Fu*** Walmart!!

July 4, 2009 at 3:33 pm
(4) Amanda says:

I have one of the recalled cribs, but it was from a store that is no longer in business, and i do not have a reciept because it was a gift. Any suggestions

July 5, 2009 at 1:35 pm
(5) Jessica says:

I was wondering if anyone had any information as to whether they would be safe once they are converted into the toddler bed? I know the toddler bed does not use the drop side mechanism from the crib but was unsure as to if there may be any reason other than the drop side mechanism that would cause it to be unsafe for use as a toddler bed. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Jessica

July 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm
(6) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

“I was wondering if anyone had any information as to whether they would be safe once they are converted into the toddler bed?”

I haven’t seen anything official about that issue. You might call the CPSC to ask about it: “CPSC Toll-free Consumer Hotline: 800-638-2772 (TTY 800-638-8270). Call to obtain product safety and other agency information and to report unsafe products. Hotline staff may be reached from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm ET. Messages may be left anytime after these hours. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.”

July 6, 2009 at 2:22 pm
(7) Tracy RG says:

I have one of the recalled cribs, and had bought it the Fall of 2006. I did not keep the receipt, but it wouldn’t have mattered anyways. I just called the WalMart where I bought it from and they said they can’t do anything for me since it has been longer than 90 days since I purchased it. I think that’s a bunch of BS. Granted my son is using it as the toddler bed now, but it won’t do me much good when I have another baby. If it’s recalled, a store should at least give you credit for the purchase to get something SAFE.

July 7, 2009 at 7:25 pm
(8) carey says:

I called walmart and I have no reciept and they said bring it in and I will get refund for what I paid for it. So to the person who said walmart wont do anything that is wrong. Walmart is voluntarily excepting all Simplicity dropside cribs back.

July 8, 2009 at 2:37 pm
(9) Karen says:

We also had a recalled crib, which was over three years old. We took it back to Walmart and they gave us the full price (including the tax) back in cash. (Battle Creek, MI)

November 17, 2011 at 12:21 am
(10) michelle says:

How much was it?? We had bought the 4 in 1 aspen one and went to took it back and all they would do for us is give us 80.00 back which is the price of there cheapest crib for sale, when we spent over 200.00 for ours.

July 10, 2009 at 5:00 pm
(11) me says:

I have a crib that got recalled but i dont have the box or receipt.
Do i just dismantel it and then take it back like that? hehe

July 10, 2009 at 7:38 pm
(12) Shauna says:

“I have a crib that got recalled but i dont have the box or receipt.
Do i just dismantel it and then take it back like that? hehe”

I got my crib as a gift from out of state friends and had no problem returning it to the nearest Target store. Any store that sold that the model crib you’d like to return that is listed in the recall is supposed to give you a refund and since they are destroying the cribs it doesn’t matter if you return it in a box, cart, with receipt, or without receipt; they are stil obligated to give you a refund. Hope this helps.

July 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm
(13) Chari says:

I’m pretty sure I have a recalled crib. I can’t find the model # anywhere on the crib. It is exactly like ones pictured on the news. Anyone know exactly where it would be located?

July 11, 2009 at 11:02 pm
(14) Tish says:

I purchased my crib as a nursery in a box, I tried to bring the crib back today and was told that I have to take ALL of it back! Yes, I have to take apart his whole nursery and bring it to walmart! Has anyone else had this problem?! I REALLY don’t want to get rid of the dresser and changing table, there’s no other deal like that!

July 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm
(15) Michelle says:

My local Walmart said they received an email from corporate that all they need back is the crib, not the changing table nor the dresser. We returned two cribs minus dressers and changing tables and had the full amount refunded onto a gift card. So to anyone returning them to Walmart, INSIST that they check for the email I mentioned. I have been looking at my local classifieds and have already called 3 people this week that are trying to sell these cribs used, and have informed them of the recall. Two of them still planned on selling their cribs regardless. Scary!! So, if you are going to purchase used, all the more reason to either know your recalls 100%, or buy from a reputable 2nd hand store!

July 16, 2009 at 2:09 pm
(16) Erin says:

I returned mine on Monday and was told by Burlington Coast Factory that they could only give me store credit, which would be fine if they had what I needed! My crib had the changing table attached and drawers. They didnt have any with a attached changing table to match the dresser I have. So if i got a crib as a replacement I would have to buy a a changing table with my own money..not cheap! I am out a changing table and drawer space because of this recall. So I asked if I could just get the money and try to find something that matched somewhere else and they said NO because I don’t have my receipt! Who keeps a receipt that long! I still don’t have a crib for my son! This recall wasn’t my fault. Don’t return it to Burlington try the Mfg.

July 16, 2009 at 2:13 pm
(17) Erin says:

Also wanted to note that the newest recall hasn’t even been posted on the Simplicity website. A co-woker found it on MSNBC.

July 16, 2009 at 2:35 pm
(18) Nicole says:

It wasn’t posted on Simplicity’s website because they’re not in business anymore. Now, we got one from a family member. They don’t remember where they bought it. There’s nothing that we can do, is there??? Simplicity is rediculous, and they really shouldn’t still be in business, and companies really shouldn’t be selling there stuff, as so much of it is unsafe, and they refuse to take responsibility for any of it.

July 17, 2009 at 1:08 pm
(19) Sarah says:

Target will take the cribs back without a receipt.

July 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm
(20) Erin says:

Wal-Mart and I do believe Kmart will also. Well that explains a lot I tried to call Simplicity and send an email and neither worked. Your right they shouldn’t be in business. There are way too many recalls coming from them. I got mine from Burlington and it has been a nightmare!! I will never purchase another thing from them!

July 18, 2009 at 12:15 am
(21) Sunrise Slots says:

I returned my grandson’s •Chelsea and Pooh 4 in 1 to Wal-Mart today with no receipt and they immediately refunded $136.77 cash, no questions asked and not even a form to fill out. I am thankful nothing tragic happened to my grandson.

July 23, 2009 at 10:25 am
(22) Amanda says:

I bought mine from Shopko, but didn’t have a receipt and I called them and they had no idea what they were doing so I just took it back to Target even though I didn’t buy it from there. I got $209 back in in-store credit, which is 10 dollars more than I actually paid for it. So glad they were recalled because not only were they not safe, they were junk too!

July 23, 2009 at 9:52 pm
(23) Heather says:

I received this crib as a gift from my mom in May 2007. We got a phone call that the crib was recalled from target (she purchased it using her target visa card). I was able to return if for a refund or gift card. Since it is a recall the store is obligated to give you a refund even though it is beyond the 90 day. I would complain to the cpcs if you are having issues returning it to the walmart store.I had no problem at Target. I am very thankful that nothing happened to my son. I was able to purchase another crib a Graco this time for less money!!! unfortunately it is espresso and doesn’t match the rest of his furniture, but my sons safety outways matching furniture.

July 23, 2009 at 9:57 pm
(24) Heather says:

I returned my to Target with no problem. No receipt and I got 149.99 plus tax back. I was able to get another crib for 136.99 plus tax. It doesn’t match the rest of my sons furniture but his safety is more important. It was purchased in may 2007.

July 27, 2009 at 11:03 am
(25) Diane says:

Hi, I returned my Simplicity “Nursery in a Box” set to Walmart this morning with no receipt. I got $209 plus tax in cash refund. I told them I had read we didn’t need to bring back the changing table and dresser, but their email was cut off on the side and it wasn’t printed clearly, so they said they didn’t know. After waiting 45 minutes for an answer they said no, so I headed home, just happy to have had a cash refund. Oh, and my crib didn’t have a label on it either, but it did have one on the underside of the changing table which matched the recall notice.

Hope that helps!

July 28, 2009 at 10:54 am
(26) Girly says:

It really depends on the WM you go to, the WM that is near me, says they will nto do anything about.

July 30, 2009 at 2:36 pm
(27) courtney says:

I found my 8 month old son lodged in between the mattress and the railing the other night crying because he was stuck! Luckily he did not sufficate and I got him out quickly! I did a search and sure enough my nursery in a box simplicity crib is under a massive recall. I called my local walmart who said only online purchases were under recall, but after I proved to them my model was on the list (even after buying it in the store well over a year ago)they took it back for a full cash refund. I even got to keep my changing table and dresser! No receipt or a box either. Just fyi. I have been posting ads on craigslist and local sites to warn people not to buy this crib used or sell it, but instead take it back to a local walmart!

July 30, 2009 at 11:30 pm
(28) VG says:

I went to return the recalled crib to target today, they refunded me only $169.00. It was a 4 in 1 , with changing table and drawer. I think i paid more than $280 for that. They told me that, its current market value is what they will pay us!!!! . Is that true? Shouldn’t we be getting full paid refund?

August 12, 2009 at 3:09 pm
(29) Quinn says:

I received an earlier recall notice on this crib, but it included a FIX KIT to replace the drop side plastic parts with metal parts. This kit was supposed to fix the problem, and eliminates the drop side feature of the crib so that it cannot slide up and down (permanently locked in place). Does anyone know if this is still considered a good FIX for this problem or is getting rid of the crib the only course of action?

Thanks,
Quinn

August 23, 2009 at 6:31 pm
(30) Corinne says:

I got my crib back in 2005 and of course did not get my receipt, i tried to return it the other day to shopko in green bay and not having any proof of what i payed for it was only going to refund me $34. not that is a bunch of bs i payed $280 for mine and now am out of a crib for my 11 wk. old son.theses cribs are recalled we should get back what we payed for them with or without a receipt. any suggestions?

August 31, 2009 at 11:26 am
(31) Retailer says:

I own a SMALL baby shop and we sold Simplicity for about a year. The cribs I sold are effected by this recall. Normally when an item is recalled the Manfacturer will reimburse the customer or retailer. (Or offer a repair kit) In this case the manufacturer is out of business. If i bought a crib from simplicity for $140+shipping, and i sell it for $199.99 I made about $45.00 on it… please tell me how i am supposed to give the customer $199.99 back? (If i do, that means that the crib ended up COSTING my business $168 because i paid simplicity $140 + freight $28) Now multiply that times 300 cribs (Some costing $299.99). With the economy the way it is, i have been subsidizing my shop with my personal checking account. I commend walmart for eating the costs, but I dont have the $$$ that walmart does, I cannot afford to pay this kind of money out. I contacted the CPSC and they said that we do not legally have to reimburse the customer. (The recall does not specifically say that, so i have people telling me “You have to give my money back”) You cant give what you dont have. We have been in business 2 years and have NEVER had any complaints for ANY reasons. (As a service to our customers, we even stopped selling Simplicity after the first recall because we didnt want to associate our name with theirs) Now THIS is ruining our reputation and our ability to stay in business.

Just wanted to give you guys a perspective from a retailer….

September 3, 2009 at 7:12 pm
(32) rizzle says:

My little boy got stuck in between the bars. Thank gosh I don’t have to worry about keeping the crib cause i am due for another baby and she was going to use it so now i know not to buy simplicity

September 4, 2009 at 9:18 am
(33) buggirl1977 says:

I went to Walmart yesterday to inquire about returning my crib (it was in the nursery in a box) and I was told that I would have to return all the furniture- changing table, pad, and dresser. I told them that that should not be necessary and to check their e-mail because the retailers should have received a notice regarding this matter from the CPS. The gal behind the counter told me that their policy was per Amanda the manager if the infant department. What a joke.

September 27, 2009 at 1:37 pm
(34) Angel says:

Walmart will refund you full price. And even if you got the repair kit if its a plastic peice its a part of the recall! So take it back!

October 1, 2009 at 12:01 pm
(35) Erin says:

Just let 6) know regular RETURN agreements do not apply to RECALL problems. What you encountered was a store that was more worried about the money they were losing than helping you out. I called 2 different stores that gave me the run around and finally resorted to corporate office. They checked the model number told me to immediatly stop using the the crib take it down and return to the store for a full refund. The man even told me that i did not have to have all the extras. In the end they throw the cribs away and they do not get the money back for them. This is just a service that wal-mart offers. So be patient and you will eventually get ahold of someone that cares more about you than the mighty buck. Corporate office# 800-925-6278

October 11, 2009 at 3:26 pm
(36) michelle says:

I called my local Wal-Mart (in Ohio) where I purchased my simplicity crib from (in July of 07) and they will give you in store credit for the purchase price until 10/31/09. (I also do not have the receipt or the box). The customer service lady said that after 10/31/09, they will no longer be issuing credits for the cribs.

November 4, 2009 at 5:31 pm
(37) sara says:

Was that just in Ohio no granting anymore refunds after Oct. 09 or everywhere….? because i just found out and was getting ready to use it for my second child but realized that that drop side broke. I was then looking for replacement part and realized that it was my model too.

November 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm
(38) Erin says:

Hey Sara [35] I just called walmart customer service (from ohio) and there is no expiration date on this recall! So try again! I just learned of this recall and my walmart said they’d gladly give me a refund w/o receipt or box since its a recall. Good luck!

November 23, 2009 at 7:23 pm
(39) Angie says:

Do you have to dismantle the crib to take it back? I do not have the original box.

November 23, 2009 at 11:49 pm
(40) SANDI says:

I JUST got off the fone with walmart here in GLENDALE az.. We purchsed the 3 piece simplicity crib, changing table and dresser.. We have the choice of bringing all 3 pieces in, or just the crib, either way we would get a refund.. OR store credit… we are taking the crib in right now, since it is almost bedtime and the custmer service desk closes at 11.

November 23, 2009 at 11:52 pm
(41) Samantha says:

I have a drop side simplicity crib but cant find the model number or anything on it How do I go about returning it if I dont have the model number,reciept or box it came in?? colo. sprgs.

November 24, 2009 at 1:28 am
(42) Kristy says:

I just found out about this recall today. I have the Aspen 4 in 1. I live in Nashville Tn. Does anyone know if I can still take it back? Should I return it to Walmart or Target? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am very relieved that nothing happened to my little angel. God Bless the mother of the child who was killed. I can’t imajine. I am horrified that my daughter has been sleeping in an unsafe crib this long. Thank God our babies are safe.

November 24, 2009 at 1:32 am
(43) Sandi says:

OK.. so I was wrong.. you do need all the pieces to return it.. You have to return the crib, dresser and changing table.. The walmart here in Glendale Az said that they need all the pieces.. we only had 30 minutes until customer service closed for the night, and needed a crib for the baby to sleep in.. so they were kind enough to wait for us.. and there is another crib just like it that is a cherry color.. and NO DROP DOWN SIDES…

And to the person who couldnt find a model number.. Just call the walmart and tell them you have a crib that was recalled and that you were going to bring it in.. we didnt have our reciept or the box.. they never asked us for the model number.. just tell them it was one of the cribs that were recalled.. they should still do it.. you could also look under the crib.. some of them are stamped..

November 24, 2009 at 10:43 am
(44) Chris says:

I have one of the cribs but the model# 8992 I haven’t found on any site is it still safe to use?It was purchased in 2008

November 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm
(45) Angie says:

One of my cribs for my twins is one that is recall. Is it safe to use after fixing it

November 24, 2009 at 8:56 pm
(46) Tricia says:

I got my crib in 2005 from a target in orlando fl, I just contacted the store that it was bought in and the manager said to me that she ”knows nothing about the recall and they are not offering any reimburesements or discount on another crib, she could not help me”…what should i do now? my model nos is 8755.

November 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm
(47) Emily says:

40) I just found out about it too. I heard about the part recall when they were sending out repair kits but that didnt effect ours, and only found out about this today when they annouced the Stork recalls. I just called my local walmart and they said ‘to take all I have back and they will give me either a refund or credit, or an exchange, but the guy said, safety is the first priority, and no matter where I get another crib from, they want the crib returned to know that its one less child in the way of possible danger’.
I am taking it back first think tomorrow.

November 25, 2009 at 1:23 pm
(48) Heather says:

I just learned that our crib is one of the recalled. I tried the Simplicity phone number and of course it didn’t work. I then called Wal-Mart. They said it was not on their recall list and I told them I was looking at this website and she said I was out of luck. So no they will not give me a refund for the recalled crib.

November 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm
(49) heather says:

I just called 2 Wal-Mart’s and both of them have no information on these recalls. They both told me that if no product replacement is available then there is nothing that they could do. So that means no refunds. To those who received refunds..good for you!

November 25, 2009 at 9:36 pm
(50) tara says:

I just found out as well that I had a recalled crib, that my 8 month old has been sleeping in. I called the walmart in watertown, NY. and the woman stated that if I didn’t have the receipt that all they are giving us back is 34.00$. How horrible! Now I am out of a crib and my money I spent. Who keeps a receipt after a year! I kinda of figured that since they were selling these cribs they were tested, and safe! So now I am just frustrated!

November 26, 2009 at 8:23 am
(51) SANDI says:

The walmart here in Glendale az said that everything that every walmart does is to their discrestion.. they dont have to give a refund or even take the crib.. it all depends on who is running that particular walmart.. I didnt need a reciept, the box, or anything… I got the full refund.. $220.00.. that was more then what we initially paid too..

November 26, 2009 at 9:14 am
(52) Joline says:

I just found out that the 4-1 changer that I purchased over 2 years ago has been recalled. I even sent in the card to be notified in case of a recall! But I guess since they are no longer in business, they do not have to notify the unfortunate people who bought their products. I haven’t yet taken the crib back to Walmart, but being the packrat that I am I still have the recipt (dated 04/07/07, wow I really need to go through my filing cabinet) so hopefully I will not have any problems getting an replacement…

November 27, 2009 at 4:58 pm
(53) Shana says:

We just found out that our crib was recalled. our son is 11 months old and we got the crib as a present. we took it back to wal-mart so we could get a store credit to get a new crib on their website but they wouldn’t take it back because we had printed the expired recall sheet instead of the more current one. I asked them if they expect me to put my baby back in a crib that is unsafe and the asst. manager said pretty much. I fully intend to file a complaint with wal-mart. They take everything in creation back even without receipts and would not do a store credit on a something that can endanger a baby’s life!!

November 27, 2009 at 7:58 pm
(54) Amber says:

I have one of the recalled Simplicity cribs. I bought it from a woman off of Craigslist and went to the house to pick it up. After inspecting it, the only damage was teeth marks from the ladies daughter when she had teethed. The lady had taken great care of it and as I use it for my daughter, I am not finding any issue either. All plastic pieces that are used to connect the drop side to the larger side of the crib are not warped, deformed or broken in any spots. I will be keeping a careful eye on it and will be eventually convert it to a day bed.

November 27, 2009 at 9:25 pm
(55) Dawn says:

I just returned my sons crib to walmart, and it was the nursery in a box, but I only returned the crib, it was like new as my son only slept in it for about 3 months, they gave me the entire amount $219.00 back. No receipt, no box and they didnt hassle me. I had no problems, they were very nice about it and there was even a sign hanging where the cribs are located and it informed shoppers of the recall. I purchased the storkcraft Tuscany and I love it, it has no drop side and is made of wood and its very heavy.
If you have an issue with your return then I suggest you call the headquarters of the store where it was purchased.
Good Luck to you all.

November 29, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(56) Amanda says:

I have one of the recalled cribs I think I don’t have the box it came in though. Will they still take it back? I bought mine in 2005

December 8, 2009 at 7:27 pm
(57) T-Brick says:

I just went to walmart and after being hassled about not being on there recall list and then being told it had an OCT.31st deadline, I asked for the store manager, who honored my crib with no receipt or box. I got the total for the entire nursery in one. $217.00 gift card. I did have the instruction manual, which I had to surrender to them, but it was worth it.

December 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm
(58) Sri R says:

The model of our crib is 8910 and walmart says its not on their recall list so they cannot provide a refund.

On the CPSC website, it says this model # can be used if the drop side is immobilized.

Does anyone else have the 8910 model and were you able to return it back to the store.

December 10, 2009 at 8:54 pm
(59) Shana says:

Updated comment: I called the corporate walmart number listed in comment 33 and filed a complaint against the walmart store i tried to return my crib at. The person i talked to said that the cribs were still on recall and the store had to take it back. the store manager called me within a day and we were able to take the crib back and get a store credit. so if you are having trouble returning the crib, i would call the corporate number and complain.

December 18, 2009 at 1:27 am
(60) idlady says:

(29) retailer,
So in my opinion you are running a shady business. You sell it you, take responsiblity!! So someone that bought a crib from you expects you to back it?? Duh. People won’t come back?? Duh. I wouldn’t either. You think you are the only having economic difficulties? You’re not. You have your own business, you. sell someone else’s product, you take that risk. I do. Everyday. You are screwing these people over who purchased from you. And you wonder why people won’t come back. Lol. You don’t want to eat it, well neither do they!! You send them to corporate stores to return YOUR product. You wonder why the economy is the way it is. You wonder why people don’t by local. Because of “small business” owners like you. Congratulations.

BTW. I took mine back to Target where I got it. No problems!! Thanks Target for backing your products.

December 18, 2009 at 12:19 pm
(61) Lisa says:

I purchased my nursery in a box from Walmart in 2006 for my 2 year old. I am currently using it for my 8 1/2 month old and just found out about this recall. I called my Walmart and was told to just bring in the bed part and they will issue a refund. I’m glad I found out about this!

December 18, 2009 at 6:40 pm
(62) Rhonda says:

idlady—using your convoluted logic, then anyone that buys a defective product is responsible. So all the people who bought these cribs are responsible. They have to “eat” the losses. Here’s an example of what you’re saying. You buy a used car from me and the manufacturer issues a recall. You actually believe you have the right to come back to me? Sorry toots, you don’t. You want the fix or refund, you go back to the dealer. The guy in post 29 has a valid post as a small business person. It’s not his/her fault the cribs are defective. He/She seems willing to return whatever markup was on the crib but to expect them to refund the full price is wrong. It’s people like you that are happy as long as YOU aren’t affected that makes America suck at times. Target and Walmart are billion dollar business’s that can afford (write off) loses like this.
I’d advise anyone that has a recalled crib to take it to walmart or target, regardless where you bought it.

February 2, 2010 at 10:51 am
(63) Jessica S says:

I just called our Target and told them that we have a Simplicity Crib. The manager said if we bring it in and have problems trying to return it to ask for her (The manager) because they are taking about ALL Simplicity Cribs. Just need ID

February 7, 2010 at 9:15 am
(64) CEirra says:

Can someone please tell me how or where i can find directions on how to convert it into a toddler bed

February 9, 2010 at 11:43 pm
(65) rose says:

I work at walmart and if you print out the article on these recalls and bring it in to the store, they have to take the product back. As for the prices, if you don’t have a recept, you may only get the like price of what is on the floor, but you do need to get as much as another crib or a crib in exchange. I too just saw the news and now have to go fight for my money. HA.

March 9, 2010 at 10:46 am
(66) Amy says:

GET RID OF THIS THING!! My 1 1/2 year old son got his legs stuck through the left side down through the bottom frame of this crib. (Not the drop rail as they are admitting a problem with)! He was REALLY stuck! He threw up from being so scared, his leg was very swollen and had red marks all over it. Thank GOD it wasn’t his head or something. I went out and bought a Graco one to replace this pronto. I would NOT recommend using this as a toddler bed etc. because the thing is just not safe- drop rail or otherwise! I will try to return to the store, was going to just throw it away, but I’d like to get some money back to offset what I had to spend on a new crib only a year later!

March 13, 2010 at 8:07 am
(67) kristy says:

I just tried to return mine to walmart and they wouldn’t do anything because they looked on their computer saying that mine was never sold in walmart they had a different list of recalls could this have been the part replacement one they were looking at and mine is the box set and I don’t have the other pieces anymore should I just call walmarts main number and complain. I stood there for an hour!

March 15, 2010 at 10:11 am
(68) sheila says:

I agree with the person that says walmart is not accepting the cribs back for a refund.they are not accepting alllllllllll recall cribs back, and it’s a shame that they are not. I have the simplicity model # 8740kcw that cps say is a recall. but ”WALMART” will not accept it back for a REFUND FOR NOTHING…I have a new born 2/8/2010 and i can’t even use the crib…LMAO…WALMART.

March 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm
(69) Kristy says:

Is it safe to use it then as the toddler bed since the drop down side is what is recalled? I can’t get anyone to take it back.

March 19, 2010 at 4:01 pm
(70) Mommyof2boys says:

Babies R Us is the ultimate JOKE to take back a defective/recalled item! I have been fighting them for days now (just found out about the recall other day) and they say it will take 5-7 “business days” for someone to “contact me to find out more information and see what can be done.” SCREW THAT! My infant can NOT sleep in the broken/defective crib! Walmart, HERE I COME!

April 11, 2010 at 10:48 pm
(71) Iskoot says:

Just wanted to throw out there that I just got back from WalMart and they refunded me money for this Crib. If the crib is on the recall list, they will refund it. That said, your crib model number has to be on the list…or you won’t get a refund.

May 1, 2010 at 11:30 am
(72) Derek says:

I called Shopko where I purchsed my Ella deluxe crib from and they said they would give me $50.00. I paid over $200 for this crib in 2008. I have been arguing with the store for 2 days now and they don’t care at all. I will NEVER shop at Shopko again. I know the month and time that the crib was purchased but don’t have the receipt and their records don’t go back that far so they can’t help me.

I would return it to Walmart or Target like many of you have suggested but only the shopko in my town sold it.

May 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm
(73) Kristin says:

I just got back from taking the crib back to Walmart. I got $197 for it :)
The recall is on the offical walmart.com webpage as of April 29th, so no one will argue with you!! They just punch it up on their computer and it comes up.

Good luck!

May 3, 2010 at 3:38 pm
(74) Michaela says:

Hello. I bought Simplicity Kingston 4-1 in 2009. Actually, I bought 2 (for twins). I bought from Target and they REFUSE to take them back because they don’t show my Model number on their “list”. I have talked to CPSC and and they assurred me that my crib is recalled, and to stop using it immediately…

Target will not take them, even though I am 100% sure I bought them there, at the store. The same “looking” crib is still being sold their, called “Bridgeport 4-1″… Target claims they have no record of even selling this crib!?!?!? ARG!!! Not really sure what to do.

May 10, 2010 at 12:25 am
(75) Heather P. says:

I just looked at the CPCS website and it states also ALL Simplicity cribs with the rounded metal tubes used for the frame are recalled too. So if they are saying they can’t find the model number on their list well then if it is a metal frame with rounded like tubes as cross bar supports then it is recalled. Here is the website http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09260list.html so you can go print it off and show the retailers.

May 10, 2010 at 9:38 am
(76) Annie - East Coast says:

re (71) Kristin. That’s awesome. How old was your crib? Mine is from 2006. Did you take the whole crib back?

I wrote to Walmart Corporate who said to go to Customer Service, and not to take the recalled crib to the store. I’m going to visit my local Walmart this week. Fingers crossed.

May 10, 2010 at 5:55 pm
(77) Tajuana P says:

I returned my crib to Walmart yesterday and received $209 plus tax in cash for the crib. I did not have a receipt, I took the crib down and took it to customer service. The crib that I originally purchased was part of the nursery in a box that included the changing table and a dresser… the only thing that I returned was the crib.

May 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm
(78) Sara says:

I called the Wal-Mart corporate line and the lady told me I could take into any Wal-Mart and they would gladly refund my money, even w/o a receipt. I took the crib into my walmart and when they entered the model # into the system, $32 is what came up as my refund. I bought it for $137 2 years ago. I argued w/them for awhile and talked to 3 different managers, but they all gave me the runaround. I can’t buy a safe crib for $32, so now what? When I asked if I could exchange it for another crib, they said (with a smirk) to go ahead and see if I can find a crib back there for $32. I was trying to be nice the whole time. I know they have to eat the money basically since Simplicity is out of business, but that is their policy so why aren’t they following it?? I am getting ready to call corporate back to see what’s going on.

May 11, 2010 at 12:58 pm
(79) Jane says:

I tried returning my “recalled” Simplicity crib that cost $389.99 at Babies R Us (where it was purchased) and since I do not have a receipt and its been over 90 days I can only get back $200.00. I am extremely upset. I even have proof that I paide that amount on a credit card statement. Also, I bought this crib in August of 2008 so my receipt is long gone. Any suggestions?

May 12, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(80) christina says:

I found this website and took my simplicity nursery in a box back to walmart and was able to buy a new crib for $89 and get $130 back in cash.I am still out of a changing table and dresser since I had to return all of it but I feel better knowing my baby is sleeping safe.I had no reciept and bought it back in october 2008.It didn’t matter all they needed was the model number which should be found on the bottom of the crib.

June 25, 2010 at 5:16 pm
(81) Pilar says:

I have a Graco Aspen 3-in-1 crib (Model 8740KCW) which was made by Simplicity. I called my local Wal-mart store (where I bought it) about the recall. I told the customer service rep of the recall referenced on Walmart’s website stating that all Simplicity cribs with the metal support bars are being recalled. She looked up their recalls and and they said that they didn’t have any recall for it and wouldn’t issue a refund. I immedciately called Walmart’s Customer Support and told him my complaint. He looked up the crib in their system and told me it WAS under recall and to stop using it immediately. He told me to take it the Walmart store of my choice and I WOULD get a refund for the purchase price. He said that if they gave me any trouble to insist to speak to a Manger. And if that didn’t work to have them call Walmart’s main customer service.

June 26, 2010 at 9:37 pm
(82) Renee C says:

went to walmart.com to search recalls for the crib my sister gave me. she bought it in march of 2006. the model number is listed on the recall list on about.com so i figured i would research what walmart’s policy is before going so i could stand my ground if they tried to fight me. here is a direct link to walmart.com’s recalls – http://walmartstores.com/Recalls/
from that page, I clicked on Simplicity Cribs and was directed here – http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10211.html
i have printed this page and will be taking it with me tomorrow to see what they say at customer service. will try to update once i find out what my options are but thought this might be helpful to others in the meantime.

June 28, 2010 at 8:52 pm
(83) Renee C says:

P/my above comment – I took the crib back to Walmart today and received a $138.50 gift card. I handed the manual with the model number listed on it to the rep and told her it was one of the recalled cribs. She looked in the recall book and rang it in – no questions asked. I did not need a receipt or proof of purchase, the only things she asked for was my drivers license. As I stated in my previous comment, I did not buy the crib so none of my information would be linked to a purchase, I think they use your DL# to track your returns. I know some people have just been throwing their old cribs away so my guess is they don’t want people collecting money when its not rightfully theirs to collect. Plus, you have to consider the fact that Walmart and other retailers are losing major money on all these recalls since Simplicity is out of business.

July 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm
(84) Loretta says:

I recently took my Simplicity 5-in-1 model number 4605 out of storage and realized it was recalled.I ahve twins so I forget some thing’s.Anyway I looked on cpsc.gov and it’s on the list for the recall.Mine was stamped Graco but is made by simplicty.So I called Graco and they told me that Walmart sold them and to return it.I tried to return it and they said it wasnt in their system and it not on their list.I dont have a UPC to give them.I called 1-888-walmart and they had a “store manager” call me and said she cant do anything.What am I suppose to do?

July 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm
(85) Falene says:

**REFUSED BY WALMART?**: I called my local Walmart, was transferred to customer service. She put me on hold telling me she had to check the “book”. She came back on reading from something and said to return both of my cribs and I would receive a full refund. If you can’t make head way with your Walmart, I suggest you call another location or call corporate. I believe the corporate number is: 1-800-925-6278.

August 2, 2010 at 10:12 pm
(86) Valerie says:

took mine to bru and got a 188 dollar gift card for recalled crib i bought used for 60 last year.

August 19, 2010 at 3:38 pm
(87) Andrea says:

To those of you who have had issues with Walmart not returning it becuase it’s “not in their computer” then print off the thing from cpsc.gov or straight from the walmart website and give it to a manager.

September 14, 2010 at 2:26 am
(88) Neko says:

This is just negligence! If this was the country they made it in they would kill the CEO’s of the company like they did with the executives that put the melamine in the baby formula. The people at Simplicity a PA company can just close down shop without consequences?

September 19, 2010 at 7:29 pm
(89) Kathy says:

I bought my Aspen 3n1 back in 2003 when my son was a baby and got it on sale at Walmart. It has been in storage for years and I was about to give it to a friend to use for her upcoming twins. It had the drop side so I went online to check about recalls and found out that the model 8740 simplicity crib had a full recall because of the frame. I went to my local Walmart and asked them about the recall. They told me to go ahead and bring it in. No box needed, no receipt needed, just the crib. I honestly can not remember how much I paid for it, but they gave me back $137. I think if you are persistent, and keep your cool, you will get a refund.

September 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm
(90) Lexxi says:

Sadly, I have just found out about all this info, my crib was a gift from my mother and my daughter is now almost a yr old, thank god i moved a couple months back and havent been able to find the bolts to it, (my daughters been sleeping in a packnplay, that she loves.) I so glad I lost the bolts. I’m claling around tomorrow to see what can be done. Thanks guys. Wish me luck.

October 12, 2010 at 7:49 pm
(91) Stephanie says:

Thought it might be helpful to start listing the retailers for the model numbers, since it’s obvious that many of us received this as a gift years ago.

I have the Aspen 4 in 1, model 8756 and so far have confirmed that it was never sold by Wal-Mart or Babies R Us. I’m waiting to hear back from Target.

Anyone else know where this model was sold?!

Thanks.

October 21, 2010 at 5:59 pm
(92) amanda says:

my crib looks exactly like the one in the picture but i have no model number or info. it was given to me as a gift. and i have no money to buy a new 1.

October 28, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(93) Recall says:

Today I returned to Burlington Coat Factory at Milpitas, CA with the original receipt dated 6/22/08. The crib is Manchester 4-in-1 Convertible Crib SIMPLICITY Style: 8325MCG
I paid $169.99 + tax. The store ended up gave me a store gift card worth of $138. Thanks guys.

November 4, 2010 at 1:29 am
(94) Amanda says:

I have a crib that i know for sure is on the recall but the person i bought it from tore off the sticker for the model #. Does anyone know what i could do about this? Thank you!

December 9, 2010 at 9:20 am
(95) Ashley says:

I have two daughter Hannah 4 years old and Farrah is 11 months. I brought a bed from walmart about 4 1/2 years ago. My daughter loved it , we even used it as a sleigh bed and toddler bed. When I had Farrah we clean it up and paint it, like new. However when she was 9 month we find out her forearm was broke. Yes, it was from the bed. My mom told me to look it up and find out is it a recall on it and it was. We took it to walmart and they gave us the full value with no problems $219.00. I’m still gonna file a claim, because I was very hurt to find out my baby arm was broke.

December 23, 2010 at 11:50 pm
(96) Jamie says:

Hi, today I try returned my crib manchester simplicity model 8325 to Burlington at Tampa, FL with the original receipt but they refused. Any suggestion? thanks

January 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm
(97) Connie says:

We purchased Simplicity crib and changer combo bed model #8996CRP from Burlington Baby Depot Jan. 2008. I found that this bed has been recalled and appears the company filed bankruptcy. I called the store in Fort Worth, Tx today and they told me they would give a store credit if I bring the bed back in.

July 8, 2011 at 10:11 am
(98) Kinga says:

I have the same crib, and I have baby # 2 on the way. I have purchased the crib in Aug 2006. I went to Burlington Coat Factory and they told me that the number is not on the list. I did my reserch and found that the crib def has a recall on it.

January 16, 2011 at 12:31 pm
(99) jin says:

i dont have a stock craft although i thought i did! mine look very similar to the graco aspen 3-in-1.

i got mine second hand from a friend. on to my 2nd child now, the drop side part broke -the plastic part on the top left side that attach the side to the bed broke. my baby was ever caught between the sides… the way it look, i think it can be fixed (ok i am inviting mums to throw stones at me). i just need the plastic part. there was a sticker on the base of the bed that has Nogatco International name and address on it. i assume its the manufacturing company. the brand on the plastic rail is just “baby”.

i cant find any info about it/tel until i search using its address. apparently, the factory’s site in new jersey is now on lease. so, nogatco could be out of business or it moved.

i am like many mums, would love to extend the shelf life of our baby products since they are so costly. no, of course not at the expense of my baby’s life.
also, i have moved overseas. i cant just take it to a walmart or target. there isnt one here!
i believe like many plastic parts, this can be replaced. can anyone tell me where?

January 31, 2011 at 4:00 pm
(100) Patricia says:

Jamie – I would contact the customer service line from the store. If you have the receipt, they should defently return it. It is when you don’t have a receipt that they have a really hard time. Hope you get or got this resolved.

February 7, 2011 at 11:24 am
(101) susan says:

i didnt know my crib had . i put this crib together and the other day i put my hand on the drop side with a little force and one side went down. im so worried to have my 1 week old sleep in it now. especially after reading that the metal fram collapses also. this crib was given to me by someone who reviously used it but im def tossing this crib out!!

February 23, 2011 at 12:22 am
(102) Toni says:

I had one that I bought second hadn also. I did take it back to Wlamart. Now I bought have two more sitting in the shed that were at my firends house. I am looking into tkaing them back tomarrow. I will see if it works out. I hope so, she could really use the money.

March 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm
(103) Jessica says:

I bought my simplicity 4 in 1 crib model 8755 in 2007 and just found out it was recalled. I called my local Walmart and they let me bring it in and I got a refund of $215 and they gave it to me in cash.

March 27, 2011 at 10:58 pm
(104) brigitte says:

someone gave me a simplicity 4 in 1 pooh crib that was bought a few years back, it was bought at walmart, can i take it back now and get a refund?? even though it has been so long?

March 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm
(105) Jessica says:

I would call 1800walmart and talk to them. They told me that it didnt matter if you have a receipt or not they have to refund you if it is a recall.

April 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(106) Jacqueline says:

i just called walmart and the crib i have is the model #8755 ….and they are telling me that they dont have that model number in there recalls?? really? because every place else i look has that number!! help!!!??

July 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm
(107) julie says:

call 1800walmart i have the same one and just talked to them it is recalled and they r giving store credit they will forward the info to your local store and u can take it in and get the money back

December 6, 2011 at 11:48 pm
(108) catherine says:

I bought this crib in 2005 when I got pregnant with my son. I’m now pregnant with my second and had planed to use this crib tell I was told it was recalled. Is it to late to return it to walmart?

December 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm
(109) 1st born, nc says:

wow… i’m having my 1st child and just so happens the hand me down crib that i have is a recalled. i hop on the web for a new set of hardware for it and immediately found out about the recall. thank god for sites like this…. i plan on taking it back before my lil girl arrives in april… i will post back to like you know how the return goes. thanks again

January 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(110) Nicky says:

Thanks for all your comments, I was checking the price of this crib and realized that it was recalled. I bought mine almost 5 years at Burlington. After reading all the comments I decide to call up a few stores to check how much they will refund me and Target give me a refund of $317.00 including tax (but a gift card, they say it’s store policy — thank you Targetsince Walmart is only offering me $105 cash). My advice is to check around and call different stores and give them the model number then go from there. By the way, Wamart told me that they cannot give me any information until I bring the crib in (that’s bulls…. should have talk to someone else since they want to offer me $105, luckily I knew that Target was offering $317). So I kindly took my crib to Target. They have the best customer service around.

January 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm
(111) Jessica says:

I just found out that my crib has been recalled and I bought it used about a year and a half ago. Do you think I will be able to take it and get a different one?

January 31, 2012 at 10:54 pm
(112) amy says:

i just took my daughters crib back that i bought in 2007 and i didnt even have to have the reciept and i bought it 5 years ago but it was part of the recall

February 28, 2012 at 11:23 pm
(113) elizabeth says:

hi i have a recall crib i got it as a gift in 2008 but i didnt know it was a recall untill i was going to sell it i had to check and it is my sis sayd she bought it from walmart i live in reno nv do u think i can return it for credit

February 29, 2012 at 10:23 am
(114) Jessica says:

I took my crib to my local Walmart that I bought in 2007 and they gave me cash for it without a receipt. It honestly just depends on who the manager is at the time you go in.

March 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm
(115) pATRICIA says:

Nicky, Which model is this. I have a crib that Target told me 299.99 but when I call the store they tell me they won’t give me tax on it. Can you give me any information?

May 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm
(116) Meach says:

I live in new Orleans and all of this info has been helPful to me I brought my crib in 2007 but now expecting 2nd child! Hope someone takes it back

May 29, 2012 at 4:10 pm
(117) connie says:

I bought a Simplicity crib from an individual and she did not realize that it was a recall, Now I have a crib that I can’t use and I don’t know where it was purchased so I am out the money that I paid for it. Does anyone know if the model 8755HT is a recall? It has a box attached to the frame for an MP player to hook into it.

May 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(118) connie shipplett says:

I bought a crib from an individuale that did not know it was a recall. I can’t seem to get anyone to give me a refund on this crib. I am now out the money that I paid the lady for the crib. Does anyone know if the Simplicity crib model 8755HT is on the recall list? It has a box attached to the mattress frame that you can hook a MP3 player into.

August 3, 2012 at 4:03 pm
(119) Jayden says:

I heard about the recall last year, after having the crib for four years.. I checked and saw that my crib was part of the recall.. I called target brought it to them they looked in there system and they returned me the full $150 in store credit

October 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm
(120) Theodore Becker says:

I just now heard about the recall of the crib set that I purchased over 4 years ago. I bought the crib set that comes with a changing table, and a dresser. I was wondering if retailers are still giving refunds for the recalled cribs. If I would of known about these recalls than I would of took it back a long time ago. Thanks to anyone that can answer my question.

October 18, 2012 at 11:50 am
(121) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

As you are probably aware, the CPSC has stated that “Simplicity Inc. and SFCA Inc., the Reading, Pa.-based company that purchased the assets of juvenile product manufacturer Simplicity after foreclosure, are no longer in business. They are no longer answering phone calls, responding to e-mails from consumers, or providing repair kits to fix hundreds of thousands of defective cribs.”

Simplicity Nursery Product Recall List

The CPSC has stated that “Because Simplicity is no longer in business, CPSC reached out to retailers to request they voluntarily participate in the recall. Many retailers, including those identified above (Walmart, Target, Babies R Us), have voluntarily agreed to provide consumers with a refund, store credit or replacement crib, at their discretion. If your retailer is refusing to provide any remedy, please let us know so that CPSC staff can contact the retailer. A company may take into account the age of a product when providing a refund or store credit.”

October 18, 2012 at 2:56 am
(122) Phranchesca Phillip says:

OMG!! Good thing I looked today I was going to convert my daughters crib to a toddler bed when I looked up the model number and found out about all the recalls. Makes me scared and now I am hoping I can get a refund to get her a new one. It was my sons crib and my grandparents bought it for me in 2008. This is crazy but so glad I looked it up.

October 18, 2012 at 11:39 pm
(123) Krystal says:

I purchased the nursery in a box by simplicity that came with the crib, dresser, and changing table in late 2008. Can I still return it or is there a date restiction on full recalls

October 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm
(124) Kristy says:

I called my local walmart to return my simplicity crib that my daughter is sleeping in and they told me they couldnt help me. I then called target who told me that if I bring in the crib they will do something for me whether it is a store credit or give me a new crib. So i suggest calling target. (NOT WALMART IN WAYNESBORO, PA)

November 26, 2012 at 3:50 pm
(125) cyndi in cali says:

i have a simplicity recalled crib that i have done lots of intrnet research on…it has been hell still trying to get anyone to take it back for me. in my research i have learned that recalls never expire yet when attempting to turn it in at target i have been told numerous times that it has expired from their list, or at walmart i have been told they are only giving 60.00 dollars for the crib, where do they come up with that amount is a mystery to me when i paid over 200.00 for it in the first place. it is not my fault as a consumer or a person for that matter that the recall has taken effect, yet i feel totally disrespected when trying to keep my family safe. but i will tredge on until i get what i am owed.

March 29, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(126) Frannie says:

In 2009 we bought a model home, furnished and bought the whole works. Used the crib a couple of times when the grandkids visited. Decided to sell it and went online to see what it was worth. That was when I saw the recall. (Today is March 29, 2013) Went to Target and told them the story. (Crib came with house) Angela looked at their online sight. That only goes up to 240 days for a recall. Manager gave her a number to call, they gave her the information she needed and said I’d get 149.99. Went home, took it apart, loaded it into the car, they came out and got it out of the car and I got a store credit of 150 something. Very nice customer service!

May 24, 2013 at 12:01 am
(127) sondra says:

i’ve bought this crib in 08 and now just seeing this now that i’m trying to make it a full size bed… what do i do? i’m willin to keep it but how do i get the rails? help me at gsghoward@gmail.com

October 24, 2013 at 8:31 pm
(128) Julie says:

I was just online looking for replacement parts for my Graco Crib #4600CL when I saw this recall. Now my oldest child used this crib with no problems or complaints! But when I took it out of the garage to set up for our newest family member, I noticed a piece missing. I recieved this crib as a baby shower gift 3yrs ago, but since the vendor is outta business and I cant find replacement parts due to the recall, Can I still return it to the Walmart it was purchased from? I do not have the reciept or original box…